Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Double Action: Boogaloo

Just added.
Read more...

FOUNDRY

Just added!
Read more...

High FOV with stretched res

Guest ZSfGuBcu

Guest ZSfGuBcu

Hello

i'm not really sure if it is ok to even post this on this site ( it has nothing to do with mouse ) but since it is labeled off topic i hope it is fine

my question is : does it make sense to use a high fov with stretched aspect res instead of lowering the fov

to me the high fov always made the game and guns more stable and gets rid of the character up and down motion when running/moving but i wanna know it is better to play with low fov

ps. i know it is all preference and all that so i am just trying to have a conversation : )

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Guest ZSfGuBcu said:

Hello

i'm not really sure if it is ok to even post this on this site ( it has nothing to do with mouse ) but since it is labeled off topic i hope it is fine

my question is : does it make sense to use a high fov with stretched aspect res instead of lowering the fov

to me the high fov always made the game and guns more stable and gets rid of the character up and down motion when running/moving but i wanna know it is better to play with low fov

ps. i know it is all preference and all that so i am just trying to have a conversation : )

Nah don't worry, anything that has to do with games you can talk about on this website, and your FOV definitely has an impact on your sensitivity settings so you're definitely on topic.

In terms of playing stretched, the only reason to do it is to increase player size to make targets easier to acquire because they are bigger. This is useful in games where you can't change your FOV, like in CS:GO. If you can change your FOV then don't stretch, just use a lower FOV.

However, in saying this, I would not recommend stretching because it looks stupid, and if the game doesn't have a vertical sensitivity setting it will cause your sensitivity to no longer be 1:1, thus confusing your muscle memory. By stretching, the horizontal sensitivity will feel much faster than the vertical sensitivity. This is because usually the game only has one sensitivity value, which determines the sensitivity of both axes. But Fortnite, for example, is different as it does have a vertical sensitivity setting, so you could lower the horizontal sensitivity to match the vertical sensitivity in these types of games.

But even if the targets are bigger, that doesn't necessarily mean you will be more accurate. If anything, if you find you get an advantage from stretching then that may mean your sensitivity is too high and you should lower it. An adequate sensitivity will allow you to acquire targets of any size. It may also depend on your grip style as different styles of holding the mouse affect how much control and flexibility you have with your aim.

Now I guess your question is: high FOV while stretched?

...Which is interesting. I guess it depends on the game, but if having a higher vertical FOV helps make guns and movement more stable then I can see the advantage. That doesn't have much to do with the lack of accuracy but more ease of recoil management. It's a pretty smart idea. I'd like to know what games you think it would help in and see some video comparisons. Or did you get the idea from a Youtube channel?

Guest ZSfGuBcu
21 hours ago, potato psoas said:

Nah don't worry, anything that has to do with games you can talk about on this website, and your FOV definitely has an impact on your sensitivity settings so you're definitely on topic.

In terms of playing stretched, the only reason to do it is to increase player size to make targets easier to acquire because they are bigger. This is useful in games where you can't change your FOV, like in CS:GO. If you can change your FOV then don't stretch, just use a lower FOV.

However, in saying this, I would not recommend stretching because it looks stupid, and if the game doesn't have a vertical sensitivity setting it will cause your sensitivity to no longer be 1:1, thus confusing your muscle memory. By stretching, the horizontal sensitivity will feel much faster than the vertical sensitivity. This is because usually the game only has one sensitivity value, which determines the sensitivity of both axes. But Fortnite, for example, is different as it does have a vertical sensitivity setting, so you could lower the horizontal sensitivity to match the vertical sensitivity in these types of games.

But even if the targets are bigger, that doesn't necessarily mean you will be more accurate. If anything, if you find you get an advantage from stretching then that may mean your sensitivity is too high and you should lower it. An adequate sensitivity will allow you to acquire targets of any size. It may also depend on your grip style as different styles of holding the mouse affect how much control and flexibility you have with your aim.

Now I guess your question is: high FOV while stretched?

...Which is interesting. I guess it depends on the game, but if having a higher vertical FOV helps make guns and movement more stable then I can see the advantage. That doesn't have much to do with the lack of accuracy but more ease of recoil management. It's a pretty smart idea. I'd like to know what games you think it would help in and see some video comparisons. Or did you get the idea from a Youtube channel?

hey

thank for the explanation , i can only say the games that i have played and have experience in them

so the first one would be r6 siege , i have played the game for 1.5 years on ps4 which is locked on a pretty low fov and i have played it for more than a year on pc ( about 4000hrs in total )

the one thing that i noticed is that recoil management is is far easier on higher fov ( 90 vs 60 for example ) and the screen shake when you are running is a lot less on higher fov but on the other hand on 90 fov the characters seem pretty small and has some sort of almost warp effect so i thought maybe if i use high fov but with a 3:2 aspect ratio i can get the best of both worlds

also i agree that the game looks dumb with stretched res

ps. i don't think i can make a video showcasing this because then we can make the argument that maybe some one is more used to this fov or it is a preference  but if you like i can show you the screen shake and more stable movement on high fov

Edited by ZSfGuBcu