My Friendly Neighborhood

There's a lot of negative acceleration with fast movements, expect some discrepancy.
Read more...

Steel Hunters

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

V Rising

Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

Vigor

The sensitivity slider is not accurate, expect some discrepancy. Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

MULLET MADJACK

The config file might use either comma (,) or period (.) as the decimal separator depending on your locale settings.
Read more...

Calculator Desktop mode

• Wizard

Desktop mode is a new feature that lets you convert your Windows desktop settings to a game.

The way this works is a little different than distance mode, in that it adjusts the sensitivity according to FOV.

This mode matches the sensitivity like this:

If you want to target an object at the edge of your screen, you will have to move the mouse the exact same distance as moving from the center of the screen to the edge in Windows. This means that the calculator must account for FOV for all games.

I'll try to make a video showing the different methods in action, but I gotta figure out a good way to actually show the result and how pixel accurate it is. And maybe get some youtube personality to voice it :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Wizard

Ya that would be cool.

I can be done, however it may lead to some pretty weird DPI's for people that are using very low DPI and 30-40-50 cm 360's. I'll see what I can do with it :) Right now I'm working on a nifty little tool I think a lot of people will find handy, and I'm doing Face of Mankind next ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious, inorder to use this properly do you need to keep your FOV the same across all games? To me it seems weird that in battlefield I should be having to move 16 inches for a rotation (70FOV) and in cs:go 13 inches (90 FOV). Could you elaborate a little more on how exactly this is useful and if it does indeed help aiming?

• Wizard

I am curious, inorder to use this properly do you need to keep your FOV the same across all games? To me it seems weird that in battlefield I should be having to move 16 inches for a rotation (70FOV) and in cs:go 13 inches (90 FOV). Could you elaborate a little more on how exactly this is useful and if it does indeed help aiming?

I will make some explaining graphics soon so it is clear exacly what this does. But in short, you do not need the same FOV across games, in fact one of the key points of desktop mode is that you can play with different FOV's, but keep the same physical distance on the screen.

Whether it helps aiming or not is personal preference. The normal calculator uses a mouse-constant distance to rotate 360 degrees. To some people this is the most important, so they know by muscle memory how far to move the mouse to spin say 90 degrees.

Desktop mode on the other hand uses a constant screen distance instead. What this means is that if you see an object on your screen, and want to move your crosshair to that object, the distance you have to move your mouse is exactly the same regardless of FOV. So say an object pops up in game in your lower left corner where your start button is in Windows. The distance needed to move your crosshair here is the same as moving your mouse pointer from the middle of the screen to the start button. Now if you change FOV, this distance will change, hence the different 360 distance in CS:GO and BF. Some games do adjust sensitivity with FOV however.

Some pictures and arrows will make this a little easier to understand!

Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I believe I understand now although think I'll stick with 13 inches for a 360 because I feel it would be very difficult if I need to twitch shoot someone behind me. I would imagine it's easier for when people are still within your fov though, so I can see its purpose now. I really wish all games had togglable fov as it would make things so much easier.

Thank you very much for replying so quickly. I believe I understand now although think I'll stick with 13 inches for a 360 because I feel it would be very difficult if I need to twitch shoot someone behind me. I would imagine it's easier for when people are still within your fov though, so I can see its purpose now. I really wish all games had togglable fov as it would make things so much easier.

Also I'm guessing there is no way to have some sort of measurement as to how much a 360 converts to on desktop mode as that would help quite a lot with muscle memory if one doesn't play in a while.

• Wizard

Also I'm guessing there is no way to have some sort of measurement as to how much a 360 converts to on desktop mode as that would help quite a lot with muscle memory if one doesn't play in a while.

There is actually, and it is requested by several people  :)

I need to make a whole new calculator mode for it however, it's on my todo list!

Hello, I'm not quite sure how to use these calculators, if I use 800 dpi with a normal windows sens and a 1366:768 resolution that means it would take me 1366/800 inches to move from one side of the screen to the other correct? and that is equivalent to a 180 so a 360 would be about 3.4 inches correct? How come the calculator is returning values for me that attempt to put it at a value of about 6 inches per 360. Also how come the number is variable, some games result in a 5.8 inch per 360 others are above 6. Im trying to get the settings correct for all the games i play but I just can't seem to get it right and I need help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Wizard

Hello, I'm not quite sure how to use these calculators, if I use 800 dpi with a normal windows sens and a 1366:768 resolution that means it would take me 1366/800 inches to move from one side of the screen to the other correct? and that is equivalent to a 180 so a 360 would be about 3.4 inches correct? How come the calculator is returning values for me that attempt to put it at a value of about 6 inches per 360. Also how come the number is variable, some games result in a 5.8 inch per 360 others are above 6. Im trying to get the settings correct for all the games i play but I just can't seem to get it right and I need help.

FOV plays a major part in matching desktop sensitivity, so the 360 distance will vary depending on FOV. As promised earlier, I will make some explaining graphics soon! :)

• 4 weeks later...

There is actually, and it is requested by several people  :)

I need to make a whole new calculator mode for it however, it's on my todo list!

I'm eager for this tool. I've been after a game to desktop matching sensitivity for a while now.

I'm currently playing CSGO where desktop sensitivity affects the in-game menu screen and buy menus which are part of gameplay.

Not only do I think that game/desktop sensitivity would help muscle memory, but it would greatly help in games where certain interfaces adopt desktop sensitivity.

I'm looking for an accurate calculation to allow me to change the windows pointer speed notch to match my in-game sensivitiy, or very close to it.

A lot of people think game to desktop sensitivity or vice versa is impossible because it's from 2D to 3D etc. But I believe it's all about the feeling. You're able to turn desktop sensitivity up and down and you're able to turn game sensitivity up and down so of course you can find a match :)

• Wizard

A lot of people think game to desktop sensitivity or vice versa is impossible because it's from 2D to 3D etc. But I believe it's all about the feeling. You're able to turn desktop sensitivity up and down and you're able to turn game sensitivity up and down so of course you can find a match :)

It's actually not that hard for me to do this as it's basically just a reverse mode of the desktop calculator. It will take some time to code it all and make it easy to use though.

• 4 months later...

I'm a little backed up, but this is a feature i want to get done with soon!

I decided to adjust my ingame sensitivity accordingly but I just want to confirm a few things with my settings and the desktop calculator.

d7qXknU.png

My mouse is set to 400 DPI and 6/11 WPS. My desktop resolution is set to native 1920 x 1080 which it's set to on the calculator.

My windows desktop DPI text size is set to default 100%, is this setting relevant?

IjXyEGu.png

Now here is what I don't understand, the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game setting for resolution is locked and surely this is hugely relevant to the sensitivity? In my case I have an ingame resolution of 1024 x 768 which is set to 4:3 aspect ratio which is also stretched across the screen rather than having the black bars on each side. Also, which FOV Type should I use?

Here is a quick summary of my settings:

Windows

WPS: 6

DPI: 400

RES: 1920 x 1080

Game

FOV: 90

RES: 1024 x 768

ASPECT: 4:3 (stretched)

Thanks

EDIT: I just noticed that this calculation requires raw input to be enabled which I don't use so it draws straight from windows settings. So I guess this changes things? I like having my sensitivity based off my FPS.

Edited by Blaikie
  • Wizard

I decided to adjust my ingame sensitivity accordingly but I just want to confirm a few things with my settings and the desktop calculator.

d7qXknU.png

My mouse is set to 400 DPI and 6/11 WPS. My desktop resolution is set to native 1920 x 1080 which it's set to on the calculator.

My windows desktop DPI text size is set to default 100%, is this setting relevant?

IjXyEGu.png

Now here is what I don't understand, the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game setting for resolution is locked and surely this is hugely relevant to the sensitivity? In my case I have an ingame resolution of 1024 x 768 which is set to 4:3 aspect ratio which is also stretched across the screen rather than having the black bars on each side. Also, which FOV Type should I use?

Here is a quick summary of my settings:

Windows

WPS: 6

DPI: 400

RES: 1920 x 1080

Game

FOV: 90

RES: 1024 x 768

ASPECT: 4:3 (stretched)

Thanks

The settings for resolution is not locked, it's just derived from your monitor, so the text is slightly grayed out. You can still change it, and it will make a difference. Stretched or not does not make a difference however. Use the default FOV type as configured in the game (for CS:GO this is 90 horizontal degrees based on 4:3 resolution regardless of actual resolution.

The settings for resolution is not locked, it's just derived from your monitor, so the text is slightly grayed out. You can still change it, and it will make a difference. Stretched or not does not make a difference however. Use the default FOV type as configured in the game (for CS:GO this is 90 horizontal degrees based on 4:3 resolution regardless of actual resolution.

Ah I see now, I have changed it and the really funny thing is that my current ingame sensitivity isn't far off the new calculation.

sensitivity "2.1307"  compared to my current ingame sensitivity "2.113"  :)

So since I use m_rawinput "0" will this affect anything?

Thanks for your help.

m_rawinput "0" will use mouse input directly from the mouse without Windows interfering with the signal. Say you have WPS set to 5/11 in Windows, with Raw Input this will not affect the mouse in-game :)

Yes, but I use 6/11 and even though I have raw input disabled, your calculator should still be accurate right?

Anyway it feels accurate as it states 360° rotation: 19.1998 inches and I have a QcK+ which is 17.7 inches in length, so I never get a full 360 with the full length of the mouse pad.

So I'm glad I found a good 1:1 with my desktop, many thanks again!

Edited by Blaikie
  • Wizard

Yes, but I use 6/11 and even though I have raw input disabled, your calculator should still be accurate right?

Anyway it feels accurate as it states 360° rotation: 19.1998 inches and I have a QcK+ which is 17.7 inches in length, so I never get a full 360 with the full length of the mouse pad.

So I'm glad I found a good 1:1 with my desktop, many thanks again!

In theory yes, with 6/11 is should still be accurate. But with raw input disabled and 6/11 Windows can in some cases mess with the mouse signal and make it wrong compared to the calculator.

You should see this post from ESR.

A formula for setting the in-game sensitivity so that it is "the same" as the desktop.

Using phoon's variable names (and injx's formulas):

f = field of view (FOV, in degrees)
y = m_yaw (ConVar)
D = DESKTOP resolution width
pi = 3.141592654
s = sensitivity (ConVar)

Calculate in-game sensivity, s:

s = (360 / pi) * tan(f / 2) / (D * y)

This gives me 2.7128 using 1920x1080 with 6/11 windows. 

Your calculator gives me 2.5156.

• Wizard

You should see this post from ESR.

This gives me 2.7128 using 1920x1080 with 6/11 windows. 

Your calculator gives me 2.5156.

2.5156 is correct, let me break it down:

2.5156 = 6505 counts for a 360 degree rotation

2.7128 = 6032 counts

With 1920x1080 the displayed FOV is 106.26 degrees.

Counts to turn 106.26 degrees:

6505/360*106.26 = 1920.05917 (desktop width)

6032/360*106.26 = 1780.44533 (too short)

With games like CS:GO you need the aspect ratio (both horizontal and vertical resolution) to calculate the real FOV and desktop sensitivity.