Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Could Someone Explain to me how FOV affects pixel ratio

As said in the title I am trying to comprehend how this works.

I notice when I transfer from overwatch to apex legends with 110 fov I can track much more accurately and comfortably while actually having a slightly higher sensitivity where as in overwatch to get that same pixel/ratio or where my cross hair moves in a similar way/feel I would have to have a much lower 360/cm.

I think it has to do with the fact that fov is not just cutting off your field of vison but from my understanding it appears to zoom in and affect the camera itself and thus the rotation in some way and I feel like even if I were to match the same pixel ratio it could still feel different in some way and I am trying to visualize/understand this. I certainly know I hate going from apex to overwatch as it feels very hard and uncomfortable to track/aim and rotate my camera even with a lower sensitivity.

So I am just trying to get a better understanding of the camera/fov differences and how they work in general so I can better understand/visualize crosshair movement/camera rotation and all the factors that affect them.  I can clearly feel the pixel ratio differences though I don't understand why it changes between different fovs.

I also don't know if I matched the pixel ratios if they would feel overall the same with less vison or if there is other factors.  I imagine the camera rotation would feel so different that aiming on a whole would be different even if technically I could make the same pixel to pixel movements.  To make my overwatch sensitivity be the same pixel ratio I would need a 360/cm of 45 inches lol and at that point I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with such a low sensitivity

Thanks for any help and sorry if my post is hard to read.

Edited by Krunja0w
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The FOV defines how much angular distance (usually expressed as degrees rather than radians) of the 3D game world, are condescend into each pixel's worth of 2D distance on the monitor (whether you consider it in terms of each pixel, or across the entire screen). Since the resolution defines the size of those pixels within any given screen space, this is why not only the FOV changes the pixel ratio, but so does the resolution.

The above assumes that the sensitivity (i.e the degrees per count) is not affected by the FOV which is most common. It is entirely possible for the sensitivity scaling of a particular game to maintain pixel ratio, at the expense of the 360 distance altering as the FOV is changed. In this instance, changing FOV would not affect the pixel ratio, but it would then affect the 360 distance instead.

Edited by TheNoobPolice

The pixel ratio is the ratio between the amount you turn per count and how much fov there is in the centre pixels.

The camera has to zoom in or out to achieve a different fov in the same area (otherwise its just cropping/extending), so thats going to affect how much fov there is in the centre pixels. To keep the same ratio the amount you turn also has to scale with the amount the camera zooms.