Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Double Action: Boogaloo

Just added.
Read more...

Need a lot of help with sensitivity in general.

So every single time i think i found a sensitivity i like i find some study about some shit and then i start questioning everything ive done.

So ive always been playing with 400 dpi and 0.0113 for fortnite and that makes me do a full 180 with one swipe with my 20inches of space on my mousepad

so i found online about something called pixel skipping and that made me switch to 800 dpi and 0.00565 ingame sens so i will have the same movement but higher sensitivity. is pixel skipping a thing.

Then i found that its best to have a sensitivity that can make you do a full 360 in one swip so i changed my sens again. any players know if it is true and can tell me if its better than have 180.

can someone plz explain to me the features of the calculator cuz i cant understand any of them

also is there a way for me to actually find a perfect sens for my mousepad 

and what is this monitor distance and 360 distance thing for and how do i use a cm/360 macro

Edited by StoCS
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pixel skipping to my knowledge is not a problem, and DPI (CPI - Counts per inch) is not the cause either, a count is a count the same 'distance in your os' for every count, the higher the DPI just means how many counts per inch it reports. so you're sending more counts, so you kind of have a higher res grid on your mouse pad that your mouse is sending every time it goes over a grid intersection. the problem is how big you're sens value is in game, so you want a low value to stop pixel skipping in theory, you can see here on this thread how it works: 

The sensitivities  where Pixels/count: 2  is greater than 1 is when 'pixel skipping' happens, that post is a good read though for understanding if that's what you want.

There's probably some maths to work out if this happens but to my knowledge your combo is probably perfectly fine. Also, if you want to see this pixel skipping and you have counterstrike, go in the console and do:

sv_cheats 1

fov_cs_debug 2

and move your mouse around, the higher your sens in game, the more you'll see the jerky movement as each count is registered.

in terms of mouse mat aiming and accuracy, I find personally the sweetspot for games like fornite is 180-360 degrees in your mouse mat width, as you don't need more than 360 per swipe, so these are best for accuracy, and you don't want less than 180 as you can't see behind you without lifting your mouse, I personally thing 270 degrees on your mouse mat is the sweet spot as you can kinda swipe on your mouse mat and see the other bit of where your view was.

The calculator has 2 sections input game and output game, they can both be the same e.g. the top one your hipfire in fortnite if you want to convert that to your scoped sensitivity. all the values are pretty self explanatory.

The only one that I can think might be confusing is the FOV type and the FOV to accompany it:

everything with 'deg' in is measured in degrees, everything with 'rad' in is measured in radians, you'll probably use the first one

the one with 4:3 is if you made the vertical all the way up your monitor set, and pretended your were on a 4:3 screen, what would your FOV be.

The res one is just the FOV you can see at a resolution (converts to aspect ratio)

(For fortnite you'll use HDeg Res and give your FOV in fortnite)

There's lots of other threads for what conversions to use, at the end of the day everything is personal preference, go with the data but your preference at the end of the day is more important. I personally thing 0% monitor match is the best...

BUT that's personal, 100% VERTICAL monitor matching (56.26% horizonal 16:9) is also a good one to try, or viewspeed V2. 

Edited by Skidushe

if you type all the values in the calc, if you scroll down you should be given your cm/360 or whatever unit you used, no script needed. And monitor distance is the conversion method field on the second section of the calculator, then you can type the match % in.

To answer the second questionif we take the overall sens as (ingame sens x dpi) then:

0.0113 x 400 = 4.52

0.00565 x 800 = 4.52

So they will both feel identical

54 minutes ago, StoCS said:

SO pixel skipping isnt real for new games so a 400 dpi wouldnt be bad?

You dont pixel skip in games. You angle skip, and you angle skip regardless, the amount just depends on the game sensitivity. It can 'look' like pixel skipping if your turn rate is higher than the angle displayed by the 2 center pixels.

The game sensitivity sets the amount of degrees skipped per mouse count. CPI/DPI is the number of mouse counts per inch. Ideally you would want infinitely low game sensitivity and infinitely high CPI, but that's not possible. Your 800 CPI scenario has the potential to be 2x smoother (2x more counts), 2x more reponsive (1/2 the displacement required to trigger a rotation), and 2x more precise (1/2 the degrees rotated per count).

Ok that vid wasnt totoo hard to understand but what im getting from it is that a lower sensitivity with my 800 dpi would be better than a higher sensitivity with my 400 dpi. And even though lower sensitivity would be better its not a noticable difference?

33 minutes ago, StoCS said:

Ok that vid wasnt totoo hard to understand but what im getting from it is that a lower sensitivity with my 800 dpi would be better than a higher sensitivity with my 400 dpi. And even though lower sensitivity would be better its not a noticable difference?

The benefits are there, but I wouldn't prioritise it if you have to sacrifice anything.

I personally use a 1/4 windows pointer speed and game sensitivity multiplier along with 4x CPI multiplier. Not only for the benefits outlined above, but to also effectively expand my effective CPI range by 4x as well. Every 50 CPI increment is equal to 12.5 (50/4) now, giving me a lot more fine-tuning.

Keep in mind, you don't want to use a DPI too high with a sens too low because certain games have sensitivity ranges that don't calculate very well. I know in Planetside 2, if I use anything higher than 1000 DPI, the game sens becomes too low for the engine to use my converted sensitivity. Games like this are stupidly programmed, but it is something to account for, especially if you want to use a high DPI, like 3200. In some situations, you may need to use a high DPI - if the PPI ratio is quite low, maybe with a 4K monitor. The more pixel dense monitors become, the higher the DPI we need to use.

yo just a qs where do you guys learn this stuff

and also is there a way to find a good dpi for you based on the space you have? i have a 25 inch monitor and 1920x1080 and a 20 inch mouspad

Edited by StoCS
40 minutes ago, potato psoas said:

Keep in mind, you don't want to use a DPI too high with a sens too low because certain games have sensitivity ranges that don't calculate very well. I know in Planetside 2, if I use anything higher than 1000 DPI, the game sens becomes too low for the engine to use my converted sensitivity. Games like this are stupidly programmed, but it is something to account for, especially if you want to use a high DPI, like 3200. In some situations, you may need to use a high DPI - if the PPI ratio is quite low, maybe with a 4K monitor. The more pixel dense monitors become, the higher the DPI we need to use.

Just note that this quirk with Planetside 2 has nothing to do with 1000 DPI specifically. It's just that he can't reach his preferred cm/360° with 1000 counts per inch.

39 minutes ago, StoCS said:

yo just a qs where do you guys learn this stuff

and also is there a way to find a good dpi for you based on the space you have? i have a 25 inch monitor and 1920x1080 and a 20 inch mouspad

Just do it by feel and adjust accordingly over time... which may take a very long time to settle if you didn't do it by feel the first time and blindly copied someone elses preference or based it off mouse pad space.

On 25/08/2018 at 18:14, Drimzi said:

Just do it by feel and adjust accordingly over time... which may take a very long time to settle if you didn't do it by feel the first time and blindly copied someone elses preference or based it off mouse pad space.

Yeah it took me like 2 or 3 years, since I started properly thinking about sensitivity. Now I've decided on a low sens where I just move my arm faster - and getting faster every day. I may not be able to flick as fast as someone like Relaaa but it's pretty fast compared to the average player, thanks to playing fast beatmaps on osu!

Edited by potato psoas