Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Sensitivity Explained

Thanks to this website and a few other sources, I was able to throw together a video explaining most of the main settings that affect sensitivity when it comes to FPS gaming. Thanks to DPI Wizard and MacSquirrel_Jedi especially for all their input and help on these topics. Would be honored if you'd check it out, and feel free to leave any input or criticism on what I could have done better!

Much love!!!

Spencer

Edited by kingdowning
2 hours ago, kingdowning said:

Thanks to this website and a few other sources, I was able to throw together a video explaining most of the main settings that affect sensitivity when it comes to FPS gaming. Thanks to DPI Wizard and MacSquirrel_Jedi especially for all their input and help on these topics. Would be honored if you'd check it out, and feel free to leave any input or criticism on what I could have done better!

Much love!!!

Spencer

its great having  a video that summarises some of the basics that tend to get asked here alot , so far a few points of concern for me would be

1000hz vs 500hz doesnt matter and some hardware as well as some games perform better / more consitent on 500 than on 1000

another nag i've got for you besides that is that pseudo science about 1600 dpi being "superior", now dont get me wrong from a certain standpoint( accel) it has its benefits but this summs it up quite well ( in regards to those latency meassurements between 400 and 1600 dpi some pupular yters have been spreading)

grafik.png.29db5a89541fb4194d0fbceaa051dce7.png

----

grafik.thumb.png.efab5e4caac0d40d892cc250696cf57f.png

a change in hipfire fov wills still affect our perception of "sensetivity" (unless you strictly seperate distance and sens) this isnt the whole truth, the whole fov/ aspect ratio (+stretched res bs ) thing is another rabit hole of itself so i get why youd only briefly mention it or leave it out.

criticism aside

the whole video and effort you put in is commendable and id consider using the link in some cases in which i am too lazy to explain stuff i like it alot, and appreciate the video quality the whole sens thing is something  many hardly understand because there is a lot of heresay going on so getting it in such a compressed formfactor is nice :)

On 2/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, fortunate reee said:

its great having  a video that summarises some of the basics that tend to get asked here alot , so far a few points of concern for me would be

1000hz vs 500hz doesnt matter and some hardware as well as some games perform better / more consitent on 500 than on 1000

another nag i've got for you besides that is that pseudo science about 1600 dpi being "superior", now dont get me wrong from a certain standpoint( accel) it has its benefits but this summs it up quite well ( in regards to those latency meassurements between 400 and 1600 dpi some pupular yters have been spreading)

grafik.png.29db5a89541fb4194d0fbceaa051dce7.png

----

grafik.thumb.png.efab5e4caac0d40d892cc250696cf57f.png

a change in hipfire fov wills still affect our perception of "sensetivity" (unless you strictly seperate distance and sens) this isnt the whole truth, the whole fov/ aspect ratio (+stretched res bs ) thing is another rabit hole of itself so i get why youd only briefly mention it or leave it out.

criticism aside

the whole video and effort you put in is commendable and id consider using the link in some cases in which i am too lazy to explain stuff i like it alot, and appreciate the video quality the whole sens thing is something  many hardly understand because there is a lot of heresay going on so getting it in such a compressed formfactor is nice :)

1) Thank you for watching and giving feedback! I greatly appreciate it!

2) TBH I didn't do TOO much research on the DPI latency, I kinda just watched that vid a while back and took it for face value. You're so right and I will be attaching this thread as an addendum in the description.

3) I did indeed stay away from that rabbit hole on purpose as I didn't feel fully qualified to speak on it :D

Thank you again my friend!!!!

Great video man! It summarizes the sensitivity nicely :) It's always nice to see someone understand. Thanks

I still do not saw a video on internet that explain just the elementary basics of sensitivity in visual way. Because i still feel that lots of people do not understand what is behind red/green dots in graph. I tried to explain it in my quick start guide, but video is still better way to do it :)

Edited by MacSquirrel_Jedi
On 2/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, MacSquirrel_Jedi said:

Great video man! It summarizes the sensitivity nicely :) It's always nice to see someone understand. Thanks

I still do not saw a video on internet that explain just the elementary basics of sensitivity in visual way. Because i still feel that lots of people do not understand what is behind red/green dots in graph. I tried to explain it in my quick start guide, but video is still better way to do it :)

Jedi!!! Thank you so much!!! I appreciate you so much for checking it out and for providing valuable information for the video!!!! Keep up your great work!

10 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Good video thank you. :)

What i would also like would be a brief explanation of the resolution and aspect ratio used in the game and that these dont change the sensitivity. Maybe also a short info how sensitivity change when switching monitors - I think these are more specific problems but still interesting.

Thank you for checking it out my friend! Great idea. Definitely more "niche" topics, but still a big content gap on youtube and one that could definitely use some love. I like it. Might have to see what all I could throw together on that. Thanks again!!!

On 2/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, Quackerjack said:

Good video thank you. :)

What i would also like would be a brief explanation of the resolution and aspect ratio used in the game and that these dont change the sensitivity. Maybe also a short info how sensitivity change when switching monitors - I think these are more specific problems but still interesting.

It's not that complicated. It's all about the physical scale of the image you see. If the scale changes, then sensitivity changes as well and you need to adjust the cm/360 to fix it. Treat the monitor as a window that you look through.

Think of the resolution, fov, and monitor as an image resizer. If any of these change the physical size of the image, then you need to change your cm/360 by the same amount (monitor distance 0%).

You will need to change the cm/360 in these cases because they will change physical size of the game:

• Different fov on the same monitor
  • Same fov on different sized monitors
  • Reducing resolution without upscaling
  • Changing aspect ratio in a horizontal fov game

Start with 103 fov at 1080p

103fov.thumb.png.00090134e3e4d99aab61dcd8d31611dc.png

If you reduce the resolution to 720p without upscaling it, then you have shrank the physical size of the image by 66.67% of the original size.
You will want to reduce your cm/360 to 66.66% of the original value as well.

720p.thumb.png.5277b93063ae9104961d2c4c32e09ec5.png

This is identical to zooming out 1.5x to ~124 fov. (2 * atan(3/2 * tan(103/2 * pi/180)) * 180/pi = ~124).
This shows that the resolution can be used as an FOV slider if you want, you just don't get to see the extra fov since its black.

1254682637_720poverlayed1080p.thumb.png.06b112a55b30f8ec0e7ec1a6e5df3861.png

Here we change the fov to 162 fov. It is a 5x zoom difference. It practically shrank the image to 20% of the original, so your cm/360 needs to shrink to 20% of the original value as well.

162fov.thumb.png.6d89845e387ccaa5efc105468a9c8650.png

Here is 103 fov resized to 20%, overlayed on the 162 fov. If this monitor was 5x larger than the above, then there would be no need to change the cm/360. The physical size of the 103 fov area in yellow would be identical to the monitor above. Since the monitor is basically a window that you are looking through, the 5x bigger window provides the extra fov.

1577309041_163and103.thumb.png.27f92c1a82ebb57c008d099e298853c9.png

Here is the 162 fov image resized 500%. You can see that it's identical to 103 fov.

1008780142_162zoomedin.thumb.png.53abc50245923bfa08d0ac70f4118c7c.png

If you reduce the resolution width to go from 16:9 to 4:3, and it only crops off the sides, then there is no change to the physical size of the image and no change to the sensitivity.

crop.thumb.png.bcb1f12ff3e94fe031e582ab6a74aa9e.png

If the game uses horizontal fov though, and it tries to keep the 103 on 1440px instead of 1920px, then there is a 75% scale difference (1440/1920). So your cm/360 needs to be 75% of the original value as well.

424137165_720phigherfov.thumb.png.c21ce6c22fc4b601c42d91d83072f972.png

This 75% reduction results in an equivalent fov of ~118 (2 * atan(1920/1440 * tan(103/2 * pi/180)) * 180/pi).

992332306_103overlaid118.thumb.png.2ee1f42dec9cc6968361339bfbf56d08.png

Edited by Drimzi
2 hours ago, Scca said:

Till today I thought that Jedis Trick was meant for 2D (Windows) to 3D calculations and not actually for Scope Sens, which is why I never used it. So it was already very hepful

Monitor distance 0% is also for 2d to 3d. The distance to move the cursor 1 pixel is the same distance to turn 1 pixel. If you measure the fov in the 4 adjacent middle pixels, you will turn half that.

Edited by Drimzi