Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Double Action: Boogaloo

Just added.
Read more...

FOUNDRY

Just added!
Read more...

Disable "dpi too high" message for advanced

Go to solution Solved by DPI Wizard,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TheNoobPolice said:

How would the calculator know what your Raw Accel sens multiplier is? Are you saying you want a filter driver DPI scaler field so you don't have to do the math?

well yeah it already does the math when you're close to the dpi. but it doesn't do it when it isn't close.

I think what you really are effectively asking, is for the user to be able to enter the target game sensitivity (which in the above example would be the minimum of "1"), and then solve for the target DPI instead (and therefore, if with mouse DPI entered, output a scaling multiplier for said DPI). 

Because whichever way around it is, there needs to be 2 of the variables input to solve for the 3rd output - the calculator can't be solving for the game sensitivity based off a DPI input field, whilst also outputting a multiplier which effectively scales DPI because it's then a circular dependency. 

Or...perhaps, it could be a mode where the calculator automatically inputs the minimum (or default?) sens for the game, and then outputs the multiplier required? So the user inputs mouse DPI, the calculator automatically inputs minimum available in-game sens, and therefore can solve for DPI scaler?

I think that could be useful in some circumstances, but I also feel that the way you are going about this in general is probably fairly unique to yourself, because changing a filter driver DPI scaler instead of the game sens has the rather conspicuous side effect of also changing your desktop cursor every time you want to play a new game.

Edited by TheNoobPolice
Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 5:08 AM, TheNoobPolice said:

I think what you really are effectively asking, is for the user to be able to enter the target game sensitivity (which in the above example would be the minimum of "1"), and then solve for the target DPI instead (and therefore, if with mouse DPI entered, output a scaling multiplier for said DPI). 

Because whichever way around it is, there needs to be 2 of the variables input to solve for the 3rd output - the calculator can't be solving for the game sensitivity based off a DPI input field, whilst also outputting a multiplier which effectively scales DPI because it's then a circular dependency. 

Or...perhaps, it could be a mode where the calculator automatically inputs the minimum (or default?) sens for the game, and then outputs the multiplier required? So the user inputs mouse DPI, the calculator automatically inputs minimum available in-game sens, and therefore can solve for DPI scaler?

I think that could be useful in some circumstances, but I also feel that the way you are going about this in general is probably fairly unique to yourself, because changing a filter driver DPI scaler instead of the game sens has the rather conspicuous side effect of also changing your desktop cursor every time you want to play a new game.

do you guys not do that? I change my dpi and sens for every game to get the absolute most accurate calculation possible- windows sense be damned. I mean we have dpi switches for a reason. I honestly hadn't even considered it until now. I was thinking, hey, if I put it a little bit high, it gives me a helpful calculation, why don't we push that higher so, say, it will tell me the highest it can possibly go dpi-wise and just tell me that one and be done with it. Just calculate the maximum possible dpi I can possibly go for my calculation like it does if I'm maybe 800 over. "why doesn't it tell me if I'm 2000 over?" I thought. I had no idea it was this complicated. "It already does it if I'm close". I like saturating my dpi as much as possible to get full use of my 4000 hz polling rate.

What I find most irritating is, it already gives me a ballpark, but I have to copy and paste the ballpark to "lower my dpi" to get the full decimal points when I can literally do that instantly if it just gives me the damn multiplier. It's a calculator, why should I have to do this extra step every time I wanna play a game? Yeah, sure, I'm neurodivergent, but why should my specific use case matter. It's just a quality of life feature.

I'm honestly quite flustered right now and may not be in the right frame of mind to write this, so I'm sorry if my brain fog is making me sound rude- that isn't my intention. But I honestly had no idea it would be this difficult when it already does it within a certain dpi window:

https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/?share=3cfdf90f0675209634cc6bd5be214790

the "dpi for 0%" is by far my favorite feature. I just wish the dpi window was uncapped, is all. Sorry for the autistic rant.

Edited by randomguy7

Whilst the game sens at lowest value may seem the most obvious, it is not that unusual for sens values to be a bit broken at very lowest values in some games and these tend to work best at default values. However, default values can often be undesirable due to having a pixel ratio greater than 1 on very high resolution displays (which although is kind of moot really, it’s the sort of thing people still want to avoid).

So I think the best option would just be for the calculator to have an advanced option to solve for the multiplier when the user inputs both target game sens and mouse DPI. This leaves it in the hands of the user what game sens value to pick in the target game, (based on the minimum | default | maximum values shown in the info section), because hardcoding the minimum value is probably not the best for all circumstances.

• Wizard
  • Solution
4 hours ago, randomguy7 said:

What I find most irritating is, it already gives me a ballpark, but I have to copy and paste the ballpark to "lower my dpi" to get the full decimal points when I can literally do that instantly if it just gives me the damn multiplier. It's a calculator, why should I have to do this extra step every time I wanna play a game? Yeah, sure, I'm neurodivergent, but why should my specific use case matter. It's just a quality of life feature.

The calculator suggest the lowest possible DPI based on the sensitivity range of the game, as in the first link where it suggests 1440 DPI. But the calculator doesn't know you have the possibility to configure 1440, so it can't just assume you are using it. Some users might have to go to 1400 DPI, others 1000 DPI etc depending on the driver and supported DPI resolution. The DPI used for the calculation is the one entered, there is no way around this without causing a ton of confusion.

5 hours ago, randomguy7 said:

I'm honestly quite flustered right now and may not be in the right frame of mind to write this, so I'm sorry if my brain fog is making me sound rude- that isn't my intention. But I honestly had no idea it would be this difficult when it already does it within a certain dpi window:

The multiplier is based on the entered DPI. If the entered DPI is causing the sensitivity to be out of range, the only solution as it is right now is to suggest a DPI that causes the sensitivity to fall within a valid range. Technically it could also suggest a multiplier, but there's no way to enter a DPI multiplier into the calculator, you need to enter the effective DPI.

For this to work the way I think you want we would need a new DPI multiplier field, but I'm a bit reluctant to add more fields to the calculator covering rare edge cases, as it mostly causes confusion.