Vigor

The sensitivity slider is not accurate, expect some discrepancy. Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

MULLET MADJACK

The config file might use either comma (,) or period (.) as the decimal separator depending on your locale settings.
Read more...

Combat Champions

All aims use the same sensitivity setting, choose the sensitivity for the aim you prefer to be matched.
Read more...

Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT

The sensitivity and FOV changes depending on certain actions and where you are (indoor etc). The calculations are for the view when you move around outdoor.
Read more...

Russian Fishing 4

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

1st person to 3rd person sensitivity. How it converts?

Hi,

Am a little confused by how 1st to 3rd person sensitivity works. Wanted to convert 2 / 400dpi in CSGO to H1Z1, and used calculator but it doesn't feel the same to me in H1Z1. It almost feels like the pivot point for turning in H1Z1 is the character instead of the centre of the screen as it would be in a 1st person shooter. Is there a reliable way of getting the same sensitivity from a 1st person game to 3rd person games?

Is a 360 degree turn exactly the same sensitivity in a 1st person game as a 3rd person one?

• Wizard

Hi!

Yes, 1st to 3rd person conversion is a match of the 360 degree turn distance. As you point out, the camera pivots around the character, which makes it feel different. This also makes calculations with FOV (meaning the distance needed to move the mouse for an object to move from far left to far right of the monitor) very hard, since it varies depending on where the object is in relation to you.

Does it feel too fast or too slow?

Hey,

It feels too fast to me. How do pivots affect how much turning a certain number of degrees actually turns the camera? Do current calculations in the calculator treat it as if it's a 1st person 360? I was under the impression if a pivot point is close to you that increases the angle turned although I wasnt very good at math :D

• Wizard

The calculation only takes the total 360 distance into consideration. But since the camera pivots, the parallax changes and make it feel different. Not a direct comparison, but consider how much faster it feels to move around with 120 FOV compared to 60. 

But we can try to match the ratio instead, this way the distance covered by the crosshair is matched instead of the 360 distance. I've done this manually now, but I plan on implementing it as a separate calculation.

So for CS:GO with sens 2 and 400 DPI, the corresponding sens in H1Z1 should be 0.09788 with 400 DPI to preserve the ratio. Check if that feels more like CS:GO :)

• Wizard

So from the calculator that's about the same as 1.6 sens in CSGO to get the ratio of distance moved by crosshair. Would this be the same in all 3rd person games like The Division?

If you enter the monitor size, you will see the ratio :) It will not be the same for other games as it depends on the FOV, as stereo3D points out. I assumed default FOV for H1Z1.

Here's what you can do now as a workaround until I get the ratio calculator integrated. By using Windows as the "Convert from" game, you preserve the ratio in the conversion.

So first convert from CS:GO go to Windows. With sens 2, 400 DPI and default FOV you will get 350 DPI in Windows. Now this value is rounded to nearest 50, so you will need to adjust it slightly.

csgoratio1.JPG

As you can see here, the ratio for CS:GO is 3.8977. Note that the ratio will change depending on monitor size and FOV even though DPI and sens are the same, and the monitor size needs to be same for both games!

Next, select Windows as your "Convert from" game, and adjust the DPI to get it as close to 3.8977 as possible. By selecting CS:GO as the "Convert to" game and entering 400 DPI, you can check that it converts back to sens 2 in CS:GO:

csgoratio2.JPG

Now that you know 318.0118 (in this example) is your ratio, you can use this for any game :)

But a game like The Division has such a narrow sensitivity range that you need to go down to 250 DPI for the conversion to work:

csgoratio3.JPG

It's a little tedious for now, but I'm working on the ratio calculator ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

@DPI WizardHello, and sorry for digging this back up. I’m currently using mdh/v 0% to convert sens between fov’s on fps games. I’ve practiced fov’s from 4vertical to 127vertical. My windows and and fps have been mdh 0% with a windows scaling of 1/8, current dpi is 3800.

I can’t find my ratio, nor figure what ratio represents. How it applies to finding my “ideal” sens in fortnite.

So currently, the best method I have to use is testing each sens in-game to “feel” for it. But that is hard, bc i don’t know what to feel for in 3rd person games and I’m somewhat used to sens from 9cm to much much higher sens.

• Wizard
6 minutes ago, mused said:

I can’t find my ratio, nor figure what ratio represents. How it applies to finding my “ideal” sens in fortnite.

You will not see the ratio with MDH 0% because it technically doesn't exist. 0% matches a tracking speed rather than a distance, so it doesn't make sense to express it in terms of a ratio.

In regards to first person to third person, if the conversions available doesn't work will for your preference the best way to go about it is to have one source for first person conversion, and another third person game for third person conversions. Mathematically there's no difference between the two, but they can feel very different depending on the game and your preference.

• Wizard
Just now, mused said:

Ive used higher percentages. I assume the ratio(control:display gain) between mouse distance and crosshair distance is my ratio?

Correct, it's the "X.XXXX inches crosshair movement" and "Y.YYYY inches mouse movement".

It used to be (as you can see on the old screenshots) "1 inch = X movement" to give a comparable number, but this caused some confusion since it was the ratio and not the actual 1 inch movement.

Quick question here. If i have exactly same cm/360 and FOV in both 1st person and 3rd person game would it  technically be the same or the way it feels would be still affected by pivot point? 

I know the term "feel" is subjective and unlike majority here who stick to 0% monitor match, i always prefered flat convertion and scaling with 100% monitor match like for example 20cm on 90fov and 40cm on 45fov for the same feel etc. So would i achieve the same 100% monitor match feel by same FOV+cm/360 across 1st and 3rd person games without taking pivot point into consideration?

• Wizard
6 hours ago, mused said:

So, I’ve gotten ahead of myself here. The method that you introduced above. What is this method supposed to resemble?

What method are you referring to exactly?

3 hours ago, Dribbler said:

Quick question here. If i have exactly same cm/360 and FOV in both 1st person and 3rd person game would it  technically be the same or the way it feels would be still affected by pivot point? 

I know the term "feel" is subjective and unlike majority here who stick to 0% monitor match, i always prefered flat convertion and scaling with 100% monitor match like for example 20cm on 90fov and 40cm on 45fov for the same feel etc. So would i achieve the same 100% monitor match feel by same FOV+cm/360 across 1st and 3rd person games without taking pivot point into consideration?

It will be the same, but because of the pivot point the actual 100% MDH will be very far away. I.e. if you measure MDH 100% to an object close to you it will be very different.

I thought i had deleted that message, because I understand your previous msg better. I’m considering using mdh 0%, but I’ll find out later what I want to use; one you suggested or just mdh. Drawback rn is that 36cm isnt appealing plus other zooms

• 2 weeks later...

@DPI Wizard

so I’ve gone through the motions. My control:display gain(ratio) is 4.337868 if my wps is 3 and dpi is 3400 on windows. Which doesnt change anything, my dpi stays 3400 at 3wps. So ill try mdh0% for fortine for a while. I assume there is know way to convert first to third huh?

• Wizard
7 hours ago, mused said:

I assume there is know way to convert first to third huh?

Technically it's the same as first to first. You have an FOV and a 360 distance which are the only components needed for a conversion. But with third person you also have the camera distance which can mess with your perception even though the sensitivity is the same.