Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

CS:GO Pixel skipping and and more

Hola! I have some questions regarding CS:GO, and I do not seem to find a any answers...

At what ingame sensitivity value does pixelskipping occur in 1080p?

Why does it feel like its easier to aim with lower resolution?

How many decimals can you have in your sensitivty value ingame?

and will it affect your 1:1 ratio? Wouldnt a sensitivity value like "0.666666" cause problems? Is there any value steps that is better then others?

Are the CS:GO professionals wrong playing with 400dpi? Is that just a big placebo with todays modern mice?

I just can't find the physical native DPI on my EC1-A, 3310 sensor. Anyone know? 

I hope someone can help me with these questions! 

Take care!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your question is phrased wrong and you probably misunderstand what you are asking about.

I'm going to assume you know what pixels are, pixel skipping is when a mouse moves 2 or more pixels in response to the smallest input you can give it. You can test pixel skipping by zooming in with an AWP and moving the mouse a little bit to the side, if the movement is smooth there is no pixel skipping if the mouse jumps over a pixel then you have pixel skipping.

PIxel skipping is dependent on DPI and Resolution. At low resolutions 400 DPI is very good, at higher resolutions you will get pixel skipping and should raise your DPI in multiples of your mouse sensor's native DPI for the most pixel-accurate precision.

I suggest you contact your mouse manufacturer and make an inquiry that is phrased something like this:

"In regards to the EC1-A: what is the native DPI of this mouse at which the 3310 sensor is most pixel-accurate while retaining max tracking speed?"

Most likely the most pixel accurate dpi will be the lowest one you can set in the software.

• 4 weeks later...

Basically you can test this by using fov_cs_debug and putting it on 1 and then you can lower your sens until there is no jumping. This will make it so that there is smooth movement however when you are on cs_debug 90 which is default, this skipping wont be visible. By a rule of thumb, A sensitivity below 1 would remove pixel skipping I think. But a sensitivity of like 2 or 3 would not really be that noticeable.

"Are the CS:GO professionals wrong playing with 400dpi? Is that just a big placebo with todays modern mice?"

Good Question! It's something i wondered to, because if you do research the most people will say and show to you that higher dpi is better, because it's more smoother, which is correct! And because of that i used 3200dpi and 0.3 ingame sensitivity (CS:GO). But... recently i tried to play with 400dpi and 2.4 ingame sensitivity to test it myself, cause i also wondered why pros are using this. And there is infact a difference! 400dpi feels a bit more jittery and not as smooth, but it also feels more snappier and it actually felt like my aim was better. So Pixel Skipping can actualy benefit you and from now on i'll use 400dpi. The only downside is that i have to constantly switch between dpi, cause 400 is much too slow for windows use. But don't take my word for granted and test it yourself! 

"Are the CS:GO professionals wrong playing with 400dpi? Is that just a big placebo with todays modern mice?"

Good Question! It's something i wondered to, because if you do research the most people will say and show to you that higher dpi is better, because it's more smoother, which is correct! And because of that i used 3200dpi and 0.3 ingame sensitivity (CS:GO). But... recently i tried to play with 400dpi and 2.4 ingame sensitivity to test it myself, cause i also wondered why pros are using this. And there is infact a difference! 400dpi feels a bit more jittery and not as smooth, but it also feels more snappier and it actually felt like my aim was better. So Pixel Skipping can actualy benefit you and from now on i'll use 400dpi. The only downside is that i have to constantly switch between dpi, cause 400 is much too slow for windows use. But don't take my word for granted and test it yourself! [/size]

It being more snappy makes more sense actually. But at distances it may be harder to finely adjust.

It being more snappy makes more sense actually. But at distances it may be harder to finely adjust.

Actually no... Since a pixel (1080p Monitor) is still extremely small, you don't have a problem to adjust to even far distances. It's actually still easier than with 800dpi or 1600dpi. However, there is a downside to 400dpi. It's harder to track targets, as i found out. Luckily you don't need so much tracking aim in counterstrike. 

I'm not the kind of guy who wants to switch dpi all the time and 400dpi for generel desktop use and other games feels a bit weird. I mean, you can get used to it, but i rather want to only use my wrist when Browsing or RTS and MOBA. Currently i use my whole arm (just like in cs:go) on my desktop. 1600dpi would be more appealing there. 

Man, it's hard to decide cause i won't switch dpi constantly but i also want to have the biggest advantages in Counter Strike. 

Edited by Elias Rössel
  • 8 months later...

Basically anything above 4 in-game sensitivity causes pixel skipping/jittering or so I've heard. As to why it feels easier to aim at lower resolutions is because less pixels. adreN who plays for Mythic said that he uses 1024x768 cause it feels "raw" compared to something like 1600x900 or 1920x1080 .

I play on 1024x768 stretched cause I like the game feeling fast paced and everything seem to be much closer to you ( I have a bad eye sight might be also a reason why)  also I play on 1600 DPI and 0.56 in-game sensitivity. Never really had a problem of pixel skipping or jitter.

Also the tool that Drimzi posted.. basically if you have a value exactly 4 or below you won't experience pixel skipping. I don't know in how many games this applies... but as far as I remember this rule applies to Overwatch and CS:GO .

400 DPI is more predictable. But that has little to do with why the pros use it. It hasn't actually been that long since we've had mice good enough to set higher DPIs with, so 400 DPI is still the norm. It's just what everyone has always used and that's why they all still use it today. But arguments like higher DPI causes interpolation don't apply to new technology today. Don't just believe and repeat what the experts say... do your own research. It's important to live a critical life. Don't be stupid - don't be a sheep.

Pixel skipping depends on the mouse, I for one thing G900 is horrible at any sensitivity...

As for why pros use 400DPI that is because on desktop that is the closest thing to their IG sensitivity. And it is one of most native mouse settings. If you use high sensitivity on desktop, but low IG you have to adjust to it a little bit which is confusing for muscle memory. and it doesn't exactly translate 1 to 1 so yeah... I started using 400 on desktop as well so that my arm movements don't go away IG.