Combat Champions

All aims use the same sensitivity setting, choose the sensitivity for the aim you prefer to be matched.
Read more...

Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT

The sensitivity and FOV changes depending on certain actions and where you are (indoor etc). The calculations are for the view when you move around outdoor.
Read more...

Russian Fishing 4

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

How to calculate correct aperture for lower FOV games.

So, I've been wanting to match all my FOV's across FPS games, using CS:GO's hFOV 106.26 as a baseline.

However, games like Overwatch and PUBG restrict hFOV to 103.

So I figured, I could limit the horizontal resolution and play with black bars instead. In such a way that the correct 106.26 hFOV is "hidden" behind the black bars.

What is the correct way of calculating such resolutions?

My first idea was to match the relationship between CS:GO's 73.74 vFOV and 106.26 hFOV, finding that 73.74 is 69.4% of 106.26. That way, I just did 69.4% of OW's and PUBG's 103 hFOV and realized I needed 71.482 vFOV.

The next step I winged through the calculator: lowering the horizontal resolution til I got close to 71.482.

My result was 1887x1080, with 71.47 vFOV and 103 hFOV.

Is this a good way of doing this, or am I trippin? Also, what would be a better (or correct) way of calculating this? Could be beneficial for more games that limit the FOV even further.

Or would something like this be more accurate:

103 is 96.93% of 106.26

96.93 of 1920 is 1861.056

so ... 1861x1080 resolution, with black bars and 103 FOV?

I'm confused.

Edited by epitome89

Having the exact same fov in all games would be nice because then you can just use the 360 distance calculation to have the exact same hipfire sens in all your games. As you've discovered though, this is rarely practical because some games just don't support the same fov range. Just set the fov as close as the other games allow and then convert hipfire using 0% monitor match which will correctly scale your sens so that it feels exactly the same. Then you can use whatever conversion method you prefer for ads and scopes.

First you have to know how the game scales FOV. Some clamp the vertical degrees, clamp the horizontal degrees to some aspect ratio, or switch methods depending on the aspect ratio.

For Overwatch, you would want to keep a 16:9 aspect ratio as that has the most vision. Every other aspect ratio will crop off horizontal or vertical.

You also want 1810x1018 resolution.

1920 * ((tan(103*pi/360)*(9/16)) / (tan(90*pi/360)*(3/4))) = 1810

1080  * ((tan(103*pi/360)*(9/16)) / (tan(90*pi/360)*(3/4))) = 1018

You will end up with 103 degrees in the same portion of the screen as CSGO, with the other 3.26 degrees being black.

19 hours ago, Sirpedrovic said:

I just tried that on OW and the whole screen changes its not like cs that you just have black bars on the sides but in this case i also get them on the top and bottom of the screen.

Is it really working?

Yes, you have to maintain 16:9 aspect ratio. If you just reduce horizontal, then your cropping vision without zooming the game out. In CSGO, black bars on the sides does nothing to the focal length. The whole point is to make it zoom out so CSGO and OW have the same focal length.

Example from a previous post. Both games had the same focal length, but different fov. The bigger the aperture, the bigger the fov. You can manipulate aperture downwards, but going upwards requires a larger monitor.

1098856454_90127.thumb.jpg.6daba7019766b01064ce0eb35a8b613b.jpg

On 10/21/2018 at 2:50 AM, Drimzi said:

First you have to know how the game scales FOV. Some clamp the vertical degrees, clamp the horizontal degrees to some aspect ratio, or switch methods depending on the aspect ratio.

For Overwatch, you would want to keep a 16:9 aspect ratio as that has the most vision. Every other aspect ratio will crop off horizontal or vertical.

You also want 1810x1018 resolution.

1920 * ((tan(103*pi/360)*(9/16)) / (tan(90*pi/360)*(3/4))) = 1810

1080  * ((tan(103*pi/360)*(9/16)) / (tan(90*pi/360)*(3/4))) = 1018

You will end up with 103 degrees in the same portion of the screen as CSGO, with the other 3.26 degrees being black.

To get black bars for Overwatch I need to use 'No scaling' in the Nvidia control panel settings. Giving me black bars both over and under, correct?

I couldn't find a way to have black bars on the sides only, for Overwatch. However, for PUBG 1810x1080 should work because it allows for black bars on the side.

It's a nice formula, and hopefully I've interpreted it correctly. Thank you for helping.

I've created a calculator/demo to show what's going on:

https://www.geogebra.org/classic/wg83gxjc

You can see FOVA is the game to convert FOV from (set to 106.26 by default (csgo)) and FOVB is the other game you wish to change your resolution of.

You can input the input resolution on the top left and the calculated values are below it.

All FOV angles are to the edge of the screen i.e. CS:GO is 106.26, not 90

You can see what's going on by changing FOVB in isolation and seeing the blue lines on the monitor change to reflect the same FOV as before but with the focal length of the other game

If you want finer adjustments of FOV values, zoom in and then move the FOVA/B nodes.

Edited by Skidushe