FOUNDRY

Just added!
Read more...

Gray Zone Warfare

Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

World of Shooting

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders

See the game notes for instructions on how to reduce smoothing.
Read more...

Gas Station Simulator

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Pixel ratio - are you pixel skipping?

I have a question regarding pixel ratio and  the very smooth feeling I get with using high DPI ( same 360cm).

So when I use say 1600 dpi the movement feels very smooth but also fast (even tho same 360cm).  Fast as in it feels like every small movement I make is captured or very little movement/effort Is required to move the cross-hair.

Whereas with 400dpi at same 360cm it feels like I need more effort/movement to get the cross-hair to move initially.  Like almost as if it is more stable in a sense.

What I have described above - is that simply pixel ratio?

Would it mean that if used a sensitivity at 1600dpj that gave same pixel ratio at 400dpi the feeling would feel the same (apart from 360cm at 1600dpi being alot lower)?

Not sure if what I'm asking makes sense. Maybe I'm asking if dpi has anything to do with the feeling I get or is it simply pixel ratio.

2 hours ago, lolngoway007 said:

What I have described above - is that simply pixel ratio?

Would it mean that if used a sensitivity at 1600dpj that gave same pixel ratio at 400dpi the feeling would feel the same (apart from 360cm at 1600dpi being alot lower)?

Yes, well kind of.

The feeling you describe is just a result of having a smaller minimum angle reachable by the very slowest mouse movements. "Pixel ratio" describes the relationship between this minimum angle distance at screen centre in a 3D game world to the 2D pixel distance on the monitor at whatever resolution you have (therefore, the relationship is also a consequence of the configured FOV).

As resolutions increase though, it becomes a completely moot point. If we were all playing on 8k screens, we would all be pixel skipping most likely, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't have sufficient angle granularity to aim accurately at targets in a game, which is the only important factor.

I would say ever since resolutions went to even 1080p, it is no longer important in any practical sense.

The configured DPI cannot change the minimum angle. It just describes what mouse distance sends a count of 1 to the operating system. 400 DPI means you have to move the mouse 1/400th of an inch to send a count of 1. Obviously, if you cram in more counts in less space with a higher DPI, it has the effect of increasing the output distance for any given mouse movement, but the actual sensitivity (that is, the ratio of output / input in the game) doesn't ever change.

Edited by TheNoobPolice
  • 2 months later...
  • Wizard
1 minute ago, dtandersen said:

Does it make sense to go for a .5 pixel ratio exactly? I noticed my 27.5 cm/360 is very close to a .5 pixel ratio (+/- .05ish). Would doing .5 pixel ratio exactly have any noticeable effect?

No, it won't make any difference to go for an exact value like that.

• 4 months later...

Oh hi adm, sorry for the delay, the game name is Star Conflict, it dont show the sensitivity number or % ingame (just an bar) but there's a number of the mouse sensitivity at the user_config.xml

another curiosity is the possible way to measure cm/360, not like most of the games, but I noticed (maybe im wrong) that we can measure it when we press Ctrl then move the mouse at the mousepad (idk how to explain, the way it works is different when Ctrl is not pressed), the game answer me an accurate 360 when I move exactly the same distance at mousepad

• Wizard
21 hours ago, Pwnnz said:

another curiosity is the possible way to measure cm/360, not like most of the games, but I noticed (maybe im wrong) that we can measure it when we press Ctrl then move the mouse at the mousepad (idk how to explain, the way it works is different when Ctrl is not pressed), the game answer me an accurate 360 when I move exactly the same distance at mousepad

I've added the game now, but a calculation is only possible for the free-camera mode when you hold CTRL.

• 3 weeks later...
Em 21/11/2022 em 12:02, DPI Wizard disse:

I've added the game now, but a calculation is only possible for the free-camera mode when you hold CTRL.

WOW, hey buddy srry, I had internet problems but that was unexpected xD, well BIG THANK YOU for adding the game to the site!

• 1 month later...

Oh yea out of curiosity, how does pixel ratio operate when you run a lower resolution on say a 1080p monitor. 

Does the pixel ratio apply to the native or the resolution u set in a particular game? I assume it still applies to native resolution (no black bar stuff - fullscreen)?

• Wizard
On 1/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, mlem said:

Oh yea out of curiosity, how does pixel ratio operate when you run a lower resolution on say a 1080p monitor. 

Does the pixel ratio apply to the native or the resolution u set in a particular game? I assume it still applies to native resolution (no black bar stuff - fullscreen)?

It applies to the resolution entered into the calculator.

• 8 months later...

If I'm understanding this correctly what the form is describing is the amount of pixels the game will register when moving per tick. This is directly influenced by the in game sensitivity and dpi of the mouse. IE I play COD at 2.9 @ 3200dpi (~15cm) this has a 0.2 pixel ratio 

TLDR - Your sensitivity and dpi should not cause the pixel ratio to exceed 2 pixels per tick

Degrees per pixel = 2 * atan(tan(hFOV / 2 * pi / 180) / hRes) * 180 / pi 
Pixel ratio = yaw * sens / degrees per pixel distance

• 5 months later...

Just curious, why does increasing my FOV make the pixel ratio lower? I'm sure it makes sense with the math, it just seems unintuitive to me, since an increase in FOV will make things toward the center of the screen appear smaller. I assume it has to do with how the games calculate sensitivity.