Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Double Action: Boogaloo

Just added.
Read more...

FOUNDRY

Just added!
Read more...

Two new features added: Focal length and monitor size conversion!

• Wizard

A new version was just published that contains two new features:

1. Focal length

This is a function available in the Aspect Ratio box of the output game. What this does is calculate the correct resolution you need to set (with black bars) to keep the same focal length based on your FOV. This is useful for games that does not support FOV change.

2. Monitor size conversion

When you enter a different monitor size and/or aspect ratio the calculator will now account for this based on your setup.

• 360 distance will be the same, as it doesn't change based on monitor size or aspect ratio.
  • Monitor Distance Horizontal and Viewspeed Horizontal will take into account the horizontal size of the monitor.
  • Monitor Distance Vertical and Viewspeed Vertical will take into account the vertical size of the monitor.

This means that if you go from a 24" to a 27" 16:9 monitor, both horizontal and vertical will give you the same result.

However if you go from a 27" 16:9 to a 35" 21:9 the vertical sensitivity will stay about the same, while horizontal will account for the extra width.

Please report back if any of these features are acting weird!

3 hours ago, DPI Wizard said:

1. Focal length

This is a function available in the Aspect Ratio box of the output game. What this does is calculate the correct resolution you need to set (with black bars) to keep the same focal length based on your FOV. This is useful for games that does not support FOV change.

When you enter a different monitor size and/or aspect ratio the calculator will now account for this based on your setup.

• 360 distance will be the same, as it doesn't change based on monitor size or aspect ratio.
  • Monitor Distance Horizontal and Viewspeed Horizontal will take into account the horizontal size of the monitor.
  • Monitor Distance Vertical and Viewspeed Vertical will take into account the vertical size of the monitor.

This means that if you go from a 24" to a 27" 16:9 monitor, both horizontal and vertical will give you the same result.

However if you go from a 27" 16:9 to a 35" 21:9 the vertical sensitivity will stay about the same, while horizontal will account for the extra width.

Focal length matches 73.74 vFOV to 103Hdeg correctly for black bars. But it shows 30.5 cm in %0MM conversion. Actual cm 360 I had 73.74Vfov is 28.5cm. 

Edited by Pyroxia

I did two conversions that only differs in FOV: one at the game's max w/ Focal Length on, the other the FOV I got at https://www.geogebra.org/classic/wg83gxjc w/ Focal Length off. Hipfire is very close but ADS is different enough that I wanted to ask.

image.png.90f6b1a7762e015644f7587d811f0ea2.pngimage.png.6d44fd804cc9f13d35a407e57e0dd07a.png

Here's another, less severe, example:
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/?share=b74cbf1bdeb299a91336c5f5f25b9937
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/?share=d6a1138a829c1f77d6b76bf890ba4ae8

Just now, Rukishou said:

I did two conversions that only differs in FOV: one at the game's max w/ Focal Length on, the other the FOV I got at https://www.geogebra.org/classic/wg83gxjc w/ Focal Length off. Hipfire is very close but ADS is different enough that I wanted to ask.

image.png.90f6b1a7762e015644f7587d811f0ea2.pngimage.png.6d44fd804cc9f13d35a407e57e0dd07a.png

Here's another, less severe, example:
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/?share=b74cbf1bdeb299a91336c5f5f25b9937
https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/?share=d6a1138a829c1f77d6b76bf890ba4ae8

do you using %0MDV for scopes? and focal lenght method only works for bigger FOV to smaller FOV. like 73.74vFOV cs go to 50 vFOV fortnite. Otherwise your focal length must be go out of your screen.

18 minutes ago, Pyroxia said:

do you using %0MDV for scopes? and focal lenght method only works for bigger FOV to smaller FOV. like 73.74vFOV cs go to 50 vFOV fortnite. Otherwise your focal length must be go out of your screen.

Yes, MDV 0% for everything and I only convert from larger to smaller FOV. The way I did it before this option was added was to convert from 73 vFOV @ 1440p to the 1440p equivalent of whatever FOV the convertee game has, e.g. 72.96682/105.48418 for Overwatch or 73.00858/105.52626 for Destiny 2.

I considered I might just be using more decimal points than the calculator, but an almost 3.5cm difference seemed a bit much? I'm not sure, but I thought better safe than sorry 😅

3 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

I see the issues, there needs to be a part of the calculation that handles the fact the we are including the missing black bars around the resolution in the calculation for the aims as well. I'm on it!

I see it as if I'm playing with my goal FOV or however close I can get with the edges covered by something, or with ultrawide games just the top and bottom.

2 hours ago, Rukishou said:

Yes, MDV 0% for everything and I only convert from larger to smaller FOV. The way I did it before this option was added was to convert from 73 vFOV @ 1440p to the 1440p equivalent of whatever FOV the convertee game has, e.g. 72.96682/105.48418 for Overwatch or 73.00858/105.52626 for Destiny 2.

I considered I might just be using more decimal points than the calculator, but an almost 3.5cm difference seemed a bit much? I'm not sure, but I thought better safe than sorry 😅

I see it as if I'm playing with my goal FOV or however close I can get with the edges covered by something, or with ultrawide games just the top and bottom.

destiny is a difficult example since its very inaccurate by default(at least its scopes can be)

it doesn't go over 105 in game as far as i am concerned so why are we setting it to 110 ?

^ if you aren't doing that on purpose stick to auto fov at your desired 103 with one fov type and let the site handle the conversion

(to make sure that it actually caps where the game caps )

image.png.5318364b6c7008ba2c8d3a2e225b3d19.png

the reason that doesn't work perfectly in destiny might as well be that the game is inaccurate

you are also setting a completely different fov type  is there a reason for that besides of demonstrating the pixel ratio ?

image.png

image.png

image.png

think out goals overlap slightly but not exactly

Edited by fortunate reee

@fortunate reee Yeah, Destiny's a bit of a mess, but I tried multiple games and they're all a bit misaligned.

Since my base game is 73 vert I set new games to whatever FOV it would be at full screen, which isn't always 1:1 so I still want the MDV 0% conversion from 73 to, say 72.4536. So if Overwatch is 103 hor @ 1377p that's the same focal length as if the game was 105.4842 hor/72.96682 vert @ 1440p, so I convert from 73 to 72.96682. I don't think type matters if they're equivalent, as long as the aspect ratio is the same, but I do pretty much always use vert so I'm not sure why I went with hor this time tbh. I usually have Auto FOV on but turn it off for this purpose since it gets in the way.

This is my process from before focal length was added to the calculator tho and now you should only need whatever FOV the game says and the calculator will figure out the new resolution. Before, the res would still be the full screen so FOV had to be increased to reflect that, while in game it stayed at its cap. E.g., Destiny 2 is 105 in game, which is inaccurate so it's actually closer to 100.8 @ 1323p and 105.5263 hor/73.00858 vert @ 1440p which I'd use in the calculator.

Still, the different results between methodologies felt a bit on the larger side so I wanted to bring it to @DPI Wizard's attention just in case. Seems like they're already on it tho 👌

21 hours ago, DPI Wizard said:

I see the issues, there needs to be a part of the calculation that handles the fact the we are including the missing black bars around the resolution in the calculation for the aims as well. I'm on it!

Edited by Rukishou
typo, formatting
2 hours ago, Rukishou said:

@fortunate reee Yeah, Destiny's a bit of a mess, but I tried multiple games and they're all a bit misaligned.

Since my base game is 73 vert I set new games to whatever FOV it would be at full screen, which isn't always 1:1 so I still want the MDV 0% conversion from 73 to, say 72.4536. So if Overwatch is 103 hor @ 1377p that's the same focal length as if the game was 105.4842 hor/72.96682 vert @ 1440p, so I convert from 73 to 72.96682. I don't think type matters if they're equivalent, as long as the aspect ratio is the same, but I do pretty much always use vert so I'm not sure why I went with hor this time tbh. I usually have Auto FOV on but turn it off for this purpose since it gets in the way.

This is my process from before focal length was added to the calculator tho and now you should only need whatever FOV the game says and the calculator will figure out the new resolution. Before, the res would still be the full screen so FOV had to be increased to reflect that, while in game it stayed at its cap. E.g., Destiny 2 is 105 in game, which is inaccurate so it's actually closer to 100.8 @ 1323p and 105.5263 hor/73.00858 vert @ 1440p which I'd use in the calculator.

Still, the different results between methodologies felt a bit on the larger side so I wanted to bring it to @DPI Wizard's attention just in case. Seems like they're already on it tho 👌

image.png.390f0576cbb014c79ee917af2ec316da.png 

this was the exact point that got me confused ^ how do you get that value ?

a change in fov shouldn't have anything to do with the resolution unless you change the aspect ratio

( the fov cant magically get bigger than it's limit ,unless you modify game files   )

using  another fov type in the calculator might end up spiting out other values but those shouldn't be applicable in most games with a hard coded fov limit

105 fov ingame caps at exactly 100.8 anything above that will likely just mess up your calc numbers that is what got me confused in the first place .

----------------------------------------------------------------

figured it out  you are doing what we are doing just that you mentioned game b as a and a as b

your default fov is 105.5263 hor/73.00858 vert @ 1440p

and you are just using focal length to match the hard capped destiny just like me

yikes thought i had just missed a point might have just misunderstood your explanation initially

for a second you made me hope that there was a way to increase fov that i just hadn't found yet after years of searching

Edited by fortunate reee
On 19/06/2020 at 03:05, DPI Wizard said:

1. Focal length

This is perfect, I've wanted this to be added for ages. Will keep an eye out for bugs.

Maybe first thing I noticed is that when converting from windows to windows with different monitor sizes, there is no discrepancy for changes in DPI. And maybe it would also be cool to have the option to convert DPI in custom intervals, as most mice don't have less than 50 DPI intervals. These are small ideas off the top of my head, but it might help. I leave it to you DPIWizard. Thanks for your hard work.

• 3 weeks later...

@DPI Wizard Would it be possible to make the resolution boxes editable (but still convert when first selecting focal length like now) and let us convert to any res? For example, I'm about to play Death Stranding which is locked to 75 hfov and for me would require 840p, but this game currently doesn't support a lot of resolutions, let alone custom ones, and even games that do and are locked to such low fov I'd rather play at, say, 1080p and just minimize discrepancy w/o sacrificing half my monitor.

Instead I have to convert my base game to itself @ 1080p w/ whatever fov matches my focal length and then convert that the normal way. Assuming I even get the right results, it works, but it's quite a hassle 😅

Edit: To clarify, I want to maintain MDV 0% when perfectly maintaining focal length isn't an option

Edited by Rukishou
  • Wizard
15 minutes ago, Rukishou said:

@DPI Wizard Would it be possible to make the resolution boxes editable (but still convert when first selecting focal length like now) and let us convert to any res?

Actually that won't be possible. The focal resolution is calculated based on the input, so every time you change any setting, the updated resolution will be written to the boxes. That's kinda the whole point of the function, so I think you have to do it manually if you need a different resolution.

46 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

Actually that won't be possible. The focal resolution is calculated based on the input, so every time you change any setting, the updated resolution will be written to the boxes. That's kinda the whole point of the function, so I think you have to do it manually if you need a different resolution.

Ah, I see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression setting a different res w/ Native had no effect except for Windows / Desktop (and maybe other 2D apps) so I thought converting say 1440p>1080p wouldn't be accurate