Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT

The sensitivity and FOV changes depending on certain actions and where you are (indoor etc). The calculations are for the view when you move around outdoor.
Read more...

Russian Fishing 4

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

How do you Calculate an FOV In Game?

Im curious. Im convinced that H1Z1 has different FOV's for first and third person. I sit there and I flick in first person and everything is perfect, then i switch to third person and I'm on sometimes and off others. More of the environment shows when you use third person, surely that means that the FOV has increased?

So, for my own sanity, DPI Wizard, can you please explain to me how to calculate an FOV in game for myself?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know DPI Wizard has his scripts that allow him to find it out precisely. But if you want to find the FOV with your mouse what you do is move your mouse so that the point at one edge of the monitor ends up at the point on the other edge. Then you keep doing this until you do a 360. Then you count how many times you moved (the last time is usually a fraction so you have to guesstimate it). And then with the number you get, you divide 360 by it and that is your FOV.

Things can be made easier if you have a pro mouse which you can change the y value sensitivity for. You just decrease it and you can perform a very straight line and get a very accurate FOV result.

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2017 at 2:25 PM, potato psoas said:

I know DPI Wizard has his scripts that allow him to find it out precisely. But if you want to find the FOV with your mouse what you do is move your mouse so that the point at one edge of the monitor ends up at the point on the other edge. Then you keep doing this until you do a 360. Then you count how many times you moved (the last time is usually a fraction so you have to guesstimate it). And then with the number you get, you divide 360 by it and that is your FOV.

Things can be made easier if you have a pro mouse which you can change the y value sensitivity for. You just decrease it and you can perform a very straight line and get a very accurate FOV result.

Hey potato how would this work with a 3rd person game? Wouldn't the reference for the edge of the screen change based on the character's distance from the reference?

• Wizard
34 minutes ago, noaimBoii said:

Hey potato how would this work with a 3rd person game? Wouldn't the reference for the edge of the screen change based on the character's distance from the reference?

Correct, but there is a "true" edge based on the FOV, which is basically a reference point infinitely far away. Usually object 500+ meters away in games like PUBG appear very close to this reference point and can be used to calculate FOV. Fixed objects in the skybox works on some games, but not all. It's also important to try to keep the camera as level as possible.

1 minute ago, DPI Wizard said:

Correct, but there is a "true" edge based on the FOV, which is basically a reference point infinitely far away. Usually object 500+ meters away in games like PUBG appear very close to this reference point and can be used to calculate FOV. Fixed objects in the skybox works on some games, but not all. It's also important to try to keep the camera as level as possible.

Oh thx for the help!