Combat Champions

All aims use the same sensitivity setting, choose the sensitivity for the aim you prefer to be matched.
Read more...

Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT

The sensitivity and FOV changes depending on certain actions and where you are (indoor etc). The calculations are for the view when you move around outdoor.
Read more...

Russian Fishing 4

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Questions about the magnification of Scopes

Hellow,

Despite pretty much every game having the same set of scopes (2x, 4x, 12x and so on), not every game calculates them in the same way, so having a 2x Scope with same Hipfire FOV in two different games will result in different magnifications and FOV when scoped in. But I still thought that the magnifications of each scopes in each game are somewhat calculatable and follow some sort of rule that can be set up, a rule that maybe can be applied to all scopes within a game itself.

So I wondered if the actual magnification of a scope can be calculated by using the Formula "(VFOV Hipfire) / (VFOV ADS)"
As an example in the case of Battlefield V, a 2x Scope and my usual 78 VFOV this would mean: "78/44.115426= 1,768089012673254"
My thought there was that the 2x Scope actually scopes in roughly 1,77 times, and not 2 times as it should be. Weird but at least an answer.
However, when using a different FOV, 90 for example, there is a different result with the same Formula: "90/53.164783= 1,692849945423458"

So my question basically is: How do Scopes work? Why is apperently the magnification of scopes different when using different FOVs? And is there a way to find out how each game handles each magnification?

• Wizard
46 minutes ago, Scca said:

But I still thought that the magnifications of each scopes in each game are somewhat calculatable and follow some sort of rule that can be set up, a rule that maybe can be applied to all scopes within a game itself.

There's no universal way of doing this, how scopes scale varies across the board, and there no way of knowing how a specific game scales the scopes without analyzing every one of them, unless the game actually provides accurate info regarding this.

Scopes can scale these ways, amongst many others:

• By dividing the horizontal FOV, so a 2X for a hipfire FOV of 90 is 45.
  • Same as above, but for the vertical FOV instead.
  • Actual optical magnification.
  • As the three above, but not affected by changing the hipfire FOV.
  • As the three top ones, but the base is not the hipfire FOV.
  • A random FOV for each scope with no relation to the stated power or hipfire.
  • A random scaling to hipfire.
  • +many more

The actual stated power of the scopes (2x, 3x etc) in the games are completely arbitrary when you compare different games. Sometimes even within the same game they do not make any sense compared to each other.

55 minutes ago, Scca said:

And is there a way to find out how each game handles each magnification?

The only way is by manually analyzing everything, as I do when the scopes are added to the calculator.

17 hours ago, DPI Wizard said:

• Actual optical magnification.

Personally I think Battlefield 1/Battlefield V zoom system is the best and wish it did become the standard.

Your zoom level also ends up being a direct multiplier of your cm/360 (if using 0%). 1x = Hipfire, 2 x = cm/360 x 2.

From a design perspective it's actually best when developers can use in-engine tools to design by hand what works optimally for the specific gameplay / maps / ranges etc by feel. It's incredibly unlikely that what the best / most balanced experience is just happens to be a nice round number by focal length scaling.

But this then means you might get values like 1.89356% magnification or whatever, so makes sense for the UI to just round those to memorable numbers (or just use names like "close range").

At the end of the day the math should serve the experience, not the other way around.