Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

ADS FOV in older games

Go to solution Solved by DPI Wizard,

Is there any chance to go back to older games that had unknown ADS Fov values, for example Crysis and Farcry 3, and update them with at least 1 weapon/sight (preferably a red dot)?  I've been crafting a new ADS matching method and it's very dependent on exact fov values.  I've been using mouse counts to get the angles I want, but it's much easier to come here and simply find the fov that weapons would have once ADS.  It would be nice if there was a way to add to the database if you didn't want to do it yourself.

Edited by ShockNAwe
  • Wizard
8 hours ago, ShockNAwe said:

Is there any chance to go back to older games that had unknown ADS Fov values, for example Crysis and Farcry 3, and update them with at least 1 weapon/sight (preferably a red dot)?

If you give me the specifics on how to get the weapons and sights, I can add them if they're not too much work getting my hands on. Trainers/mods that make them accessible is also an option.

I could obviously do this myself, but it's a lot more time efficient if you just know it :)

8 hours ago, ShockNAwe said:

I've been crafting a new ADS matching method and it's very dependent on exact fov values.  I've been using mouse counts to get the angles I want, but it's much easier to come here and simply find the fov that weapons would have once ADS.

What exactly is this method, and is it something you can't do in the calculator?

I only use the starting AK-47/Assault Rifle style weapons.  In Crysis/Warhead it's the FY71 you get right after killing your first enemy.  Far cry 3 has an ak47 you can get after attacking the first village (20 minutes in).  In Homefront: The Revolution it's literally called "Assault Rifle", probably another 20 min in. 

I don't use trainers or mods but if it helps I'll find some.

14 hours ago, DPI Wizard said:

What exactly is this method, and is it something you can't do in the calculator?

I don't really know if you can do it in the calculator.  I'm using a linear equation with a constant that compensates for distortion, off of a supplied sensitivity and angle (whatever I consider my "perfect aim").  So far it is presenting near-perfect results for me, but I need to verify as exact the ADS fov's in the games I'm testing to know how accurate it is, outside of feel. 

Edited by ShockNAwe
  • Wizard
14 hours ago, ShockNAwe said:

In Crysis/Warhead it's the FY71...Far cry 3 has an ak47...In Homefront: The Revolution

Added all of these now.

14 hours ago, ShockNAwe said:

I don't really know if you can do it in the calculator.  I'm using a linear equation with a constant that compensates for distortion, off of a supplied sensitivity and angle (whatever I consider my "perfect aim").  So far it is presenting near-perfect results for me, but I need to verify as exact the ADS fov's in the games I'm testing to know how accurate it is, outside of feel. 

Can you give me some examples of the ADS sensitivity you get with this method from a game that has granular settings like BF1/V/2042, CoD MW2 or something? Including resolution, hipfire sensitivity and base FOV. I'm working on a new feature to reverse-engineer existing ADS sensitivity to find the closest setup in the calculator to match it, so I can test it on your setup.

I don't own any of those games. But, if you give me a sensitivity matched at .022 m_yaw (quake) and 812 dpi, plus the fov to and from, I can give you a sensitivity to put back into your game at the requested fov. Resolution and aspect ratio won't matter as long as the angle you supply already takes any focal length into account. 

• Wizard
2 hours ago, ShockNAwe said:

I don't own any of those games. But, if you give me a sensitivity matched at .022 m_yaw (quake) and 812 dpi, plus the fov to and from, I can give you a sensitivity to put back into your game at the requested fov. Resolution and aspect ratio won't matter as long as the angle you supply already takes any focal length into account. 

Ok, let's just try sensitivity 1, hipfire FOV 90 and ADS FOV 10, 15 , 40 and 45. FOV type Hdeg 4:3.

Also I assume the sensitivity (i.e. 360 distance) in this example is unaffected by the FOV change, just like say Quake 1 in the calculator.

Hipfire sens 1 at 90 fov 4:3  812 dpi

Matched at 45 fov: 

100% MD = .5  

Actual MD after Correction 99.62%  .4995 Sensitivity

Matched at 15 fov:

100% MD = .1667

MD after Correction 108.2%  .1715 Sensitivity

I used two different equations that produce similar results. Both felt right to me, which matches what desmos spits out.  The larger the value between sensitivity, the more the apparent disparity between 100% MD.  So that would make it dynamic.  

7 hours ago, DPI Wizard said:

Added all of these now.

Awesome.

Did you try the angle comparison? It might not be worth pursuing. 

3 hours ago, TheNoobPolice said:

Or are you like that kid at school with no siblings who never let the other kids play with his stuff 😉

Unfortunately, this describes me perfectly 😔

Honestly, it's a work in progress, and feedback is most important for me right now.  So, if you have a hip fire angle you want compared to ADS, I can add to my data.

• Wizard
On 4/12/2023 at 1:05 AM, ShockNAwe said:

Hipfire sens 1 at 90 fov 4:3  812 dpi

Matched at 45 fov: 

100% MD = .5  

Actual MD after Correction 99.62%  .4995 Sensitivity

Matched at 15 fov:

100% MD = .1667

MD after Correction 108.2%  .1715 Sensitivity

I used two different equations that produce similar results. Both felt right to me, which matches what desmos spits out.  The larger the value between sensitivity, the more the apparent disparity between 100% MD.  So that would make it dynamic.  

Awesome.

It's not possible to match the two examples using any of the existing methods it seems, could you also do the same for fov 10 and 40 so I get a few more data points?

• Wizard
18 minutes ago, TheNoobPolice said:

At least for those data points, you can use these values with MDD to match them to about 6 decimal places or so

I think you have to use the vertical FOV, as the examples was in hdeg 4:3. Either way, I'm still working on the reverse-engineering scripts, and since it's not possible to do mathematically and has to be done programmatically it's a bit of a challenge 😆

Have games moved away from MD?  Is that why you need to reverse engineer some newer scaling methods?

4:3 based fov, especially with vertical minus scaling,  covers most usable ranges of fov for 16:9 based hor+.  MD is useless,  even 0%. 100% Horizontal MD is as close as you can get just using a blind number. It's not accurate enough though.

Try matching 812 dpi .022 yaw to .997183, .935, and .966.  All three will provide completely different feels, .935 having the most controllable distortion,  .997183 having least.  If your sensitivity isn't an exact function of these 3 sensitivity points, you're veering off unnecessarily. 

• Wizard
8 minutes ago, ShockNAwe said:

Have games moved away from MD?  Is that why you need to reverse engineer some newer scaling methods?

No, it's a tool for the users so they can enter their existing sensitivity settings and get the best matching conversion setup back. This way you can find the best setup based on your current settings, so you can replicate it to other games.

Especially useful for those who have just fiddled with their sensitivity settings to find a setup that feels good, but have no idea how to convert this to other games.

28 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

I got the reverse thingy working a bit better now, and for the two numbers provided, setting it to MDD 148.5437% Power 21% matches it pretty good. Changed FOV's to vertical:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/qskiuuqh4z

So using this, 40 would be 0.446, 10 would be 0.115.

Glad you got this figured out! Now just supply the angle you want and personal aim scaling is more or less solved.  You can even imitate someone's exact aim if you know what sensitivity they use at a supplied fov.