Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Should I be using Viewspeed for all my games?

1 hour ago, TheNoobPolice said:

It should probably be clarified that you can only use 360 distance to match between games's hipfire when they can be set to use the exact same FOV, otherwise it's a different effective "sensitivity" of course.

At the same FOV, viewspeed and 360 distance give you essentially the same sensitivity, within margin of error. Use 360 regardless of FOV for hipfire, then use viewspeed for scopes.

Edited by KandiVan

Half right.

If you play game A with a hipfire FOV of Hor+ 110, but Game B only has a max possible hipfire FOV of Hor+ 90, the hipfire sensitivity will feel faster in game B if you match the 360 distance.

You can either set the exact same FOV and use 360 distance between games, or use Viewspeed or a Monitor Distance percentage..

Turn rate is NOT sensitivity, at least as far as aiming / muscle memory is concerned.

Edited by TheNoobPolice
11 minutes ago, TheNoobPolice said:

Half right.

If you play game A with a hipfire FOV of Hor+ 110, but Game B only has a max possible hipfire FOV of Hor+ 90, the hipfire sensitivity will feel faster in game B if you match the 360 distance.

You can either set the exact same FOV and use 360 distance between games, or use Viewspeed or a Monitor Distance percentage..

Turn rate is NOT sensitivity, at least as far as aiming / muscle memory is concerned.

The issue is with vast differences in FOV from game to game on hipfire, try and convert using viewspeed from CS to PUBG with its third person FOV of 80 HFOV and tell me it feels similar, it completely throws off your movement. Most aiming is done while ADS'd anyway.

Third person hipfire just doesn't work well. The FOV changes too much. It feels fine when looking at a distant object, but when moving around match to 360 distance usually feels slow in 3rd person games.

I have read that third person is effectively 3 times the FOV as First person. It's not based on anything technical and is probabaly woefully incorrect from a technical standpoint. The point is, third person doesn't feel good to me matching at 360.

Since it always feel slow, maybe for calculation proposes it would be better to arbitrarily viewspeed match to a high FOV?

• Wizard

The FOV usually doesn't change actually, but the camera moves back and pivots around your character. And the further back the camera is, the more extreme the difference is between aiming at something close and far away.

The aiming movement in 1st person and 3rd person is really not comparable unless you are aiming at something really far away.

I think the best solution is to find one game to use as a base for 1st person, and another for 3rd person.

22 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

The FOV usually doesn't change actually, but the camera moves back and pivots around your character. And the further back the camera is, the more extreme the difference is between aiming at something close and far away.

The aiming movement in 1st person and 3rd person is really not comparable unless you are aiming at something really far away.

I think the best solution is to find one game to use as a base for 1st person, and another for 3rd person.

Yeah, might be. I do find matching the "over the shoulder aim" to viewspeed the conversion feels fine, though. Maybe that is just placebo. I wish there was some way to find out even an approximate conversion.

Quick and dirty is that third person hipfire movement feels much slower than first person hipfire movement given the same 360 distance, no conversion needed, that is just a fact that anyone can tell. Thankfully, the over the shoulder conversion works well enough and most 3rd persons you ADS the majority of the time you are shooting. It's just a matter of getting the movement to some semblance of the right ratio.

Edited by Bryjoe
1 hour ago, Bryjoe said:

Yeah, might be. I do find matching the "over the shoulder aim" to viewspeed the conversion feels fine, though. Maybe that is just placebo. I wish there was some way to find out even an approximate conversion.

Quick and dirty is that third person hipfire movement feels much slower than first person hipfire movement given the same 360 distance, no conversion needed, that is just a fact that anyone can tell. Thankfully, the over the shoulder conversion works well enough and most 3rd persons you ADS the majority of the time you are shooting. It's just a matter of getting the movement to some semblance of the right ratio.

I've been trying to figure out a way to account for this, I've tried half ass approximating higher FOV's and it does feel better, but theres no mathematical way for me to find the best possible FOV to choose. Its frustrating, because viewspeed feels so great in first person but I just cant find that feeling in third person. I feel like this should be the next problem everyone tries to solve like how viewspeed was

Edited by KandiVan
3 hours ago, Drimzi said:

I don't think it will be possible to come up with a 3rd person solution, since 3rd person is implemented differently in every game. You could try a different method though, like 0% monitor match from Windows.

I did try 0% monitor match on ADS and it felt pretty fast, but controllable, if that makes sense. I imagine if i did 0% on hipfire as well it might make it feel less fast?

• Wizard
1 minute ago, Ehren Wong said:

My question is why would 360 be used over viewspeed v2 for hipfire? Is it more accurate in terms of "feel" and muscle memory?

Because in hipfire you might prefer to have the muscle memory of turning e.g. 180 degrees rather than accurate aim. For aiming you use targeting/ADS/Scope sensitivity. But again, it's a personal preference.

9 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

Because in hipfire you might prefer to have the muscle memory of turning e.g. 180 degrees rather than accurate aim. For aiming you use targeting/ADS/Scope sensitivity. But again, it's a personal preference.

That makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you!

On 11/3/2017 at 9:46 PM, Drimzi said:

I don't think it will be possible to come up with a 3rd person solution, since 3rd person is implemented differently in every game. You could try a different method though, like 0% monitor match from Windows.

I feel like if we could get the distance the camera is panned back from character in third person + config FOV theres gotta be a way we could math it to get a half assed approximation for the "ideal" third person camera "fov", obviously it changes as you get closer to objects and stuff, but in the wide open it seems pretty static in most third person games.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:42 PM, TheNoobPolice said:

Half right.

So for instance I play overwatch with 5 sens and 1600dpi with 103 FOV and I want to convert that into Destiny 2. If I was to use 360 Distance to convert Overwatch hipfire into Destiny 2 hipfire I would have to use the same FOV for both games so it feels normal or would it be best to use Viewspeed and keep destiny 2 at 85 FOV instead of 103 FOV that i would have to use if i was using 360 distance? Also what would be the best way for the ADS part of destiny 2?

I would like to keep my muscle memory that I have developed from Overwatch so its easier to get a hang of other games and so I can still play overwatch without feeling I lost my aim.

Edited by Pigeon
1 hour ago, Pigeon said:

So for instance I play overwatch with 5 sens and 1600dpi with 103 FOV and I want to convert that into Destiny 2. If I was to use 360 Distance to convert Overwatch hipfire into Destiny 2 hipfire I would have to use the same FOV for both games so it feels normal or would it be best to use Viewspeed and keep destiny 2 at 85 FOV instead of 103 FOV that i would have to use if i was using 360 distance? Also what would be the best way for the ADS part of destiny 2?

I would like to keep my muscle memory that I have developed from Overwatch so its easier to get a hang of other games and so I can still play overwatch without feeling I lost my aim.

You don't have to use the same FOV as Overwatch, Viewspeed V2's goal is to eliminate the need for that. However, for a perfect 1:1 ratio in hipfire, you must use the same FOV for it to be accurate. Accurate is probably the wrong word, for the 360 distance and the relative distance your cursor moves on the screen to feel and be the exact same you need to match FOV.

Viewspeed feels the same regardless of FOV, at least when it comes to aiming. Where the argument comes is when you start talking about movement, as being able to control your character with the same 360 distance is valuable for that. (although, in my experience I don't really notice a serious difference in movement capablities) Matching the FOV to Overwatch means that your hipfire sensitivity won't only feel identical, it will be identical in every respect, which is why it's often the recommendation if you can stomach having the same FOV. When you are aiming down the sights or using scopes of any kind is when you are required to use something like Viewspeed, however.

There are some games where it is very undesirable to change the FOV, or some games have it hard locked, this is where Viewspeed comes in as well. Games like Quake which play best at the default high FOV come to mind, or games that were designed with a low FOV in mind, like many console ports.

Edited by Bryjoe
1 hour ago, Bryjoe said:

You don't have to use the same FOV as Overwatch, Viewspeed V2's goal is to eliminate the need for that. However, for a perfect 1:1 ratio in hipfire, you must use the same FOV for it to be accurate. Accurate is probably the wrong word, for the 360 distance and the relative distance your cursor moves on the screen to feel and be the exact same you need to match FOV.

Viewspeed feels the same regardless of FOV, at least when it comes to aiming. Where the argument comes is when you start talking about movement, as being able to control your character with the same 360 distance is valuable for that. (although, in my experience I don't really notice a serious difference in movement capablities) Matching the FOV to Overwatch means that your hipfire sensitivity won't only feel identical, it will be identical in every respect, which is why it's often the recommendation if you can stomach having the same FOV. When you are aiming down the sights or using scopes of any kind is when you are required to use something like Viewspeed, however.

There are some games where it is very undesirable to change the FOV, or some games have it hard locked, this is where Viewspeed comes in as well. Games like Quake which play best at the default high FOV come to mind, or games that were designed with a low FOV in mind, like many console ports.

Thanks man that really helps.