Combat Champions

All aims use the same sensitivity setting, choose the sensitivity for the aim you prefer to be matched.
Read more...

Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT

The sensitivity and FOV changes depending on certain actions and where you are (indoor etc). The calculations are for the view when you move around outdoor.
Read more...

Russian Fishing 4

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

ratio/discrepancy question

hello all, and thank you for your time.

I used the converter to get my sensitivity from CS:GO to Overwatch and had a question about it. (I am extremely picky about it being as close to CSGO as possible, I didn't even buy Overwatch until they implemented decimal sensitivity.)

Anyways, I play 1024x768 black bars on CSGO, with a 23" screen. (0.75 sens, 2300 DPI)

When I converted my sensitivity for Overwatch, I get 2.5, which feels right. (same monitor, same dpi)

My question is about a specific part of the conversion.

When using the default FOV in Overwatch (103), I get -- Discrepancy:

-5.046% (-0.3727 inches)

By adjusting my Overwatch FOV to 98, I was able to achieve Discrepancy:

0.0528% (0.0041 inches)

therefore, my question is using a 98 FOV going to make my OW feel more like my CSGO? Regardless of the FOV, the calculator always shows a 360° rotation: 9.4862 inches. I am confused as to what the ratio/discrepancy truly means and how it affects the precision of my aim. I would greatly appreciate some insight into this and if I should use the 98 FOV to have my aim feel as close as possible to my aim in CS:GO.

Once again, thank you everyone for your time.
Edited by strreamix
  • Wizard

It's a little counter-intuitive that the discrepancy for ratio is displayed when the 360 distance is matched, as they are different matching methods. The calculator is not trying to match this, and it is only possible to have them both at 0% if the FOV and aspect ratio is the same.

Anyway, the new version (which I hope is ready this weekend), solves this (see the first screenshot).

And it also gives you a much better matching method than 360 distance, which is Monitor Distance matching. Shown in the second screenshot here, matching the movement to aim at an object 50% between the crosshair and the edge of the monitor. For correct calculations it is best to use the correct aspect ratio for the monitor. This way you can match all kinds of FOV's and scopes/ADS with each other. I'll have a video on this later ;)

v5-1.JPG

v5-2.JPG

It's not wise to just match your 360-spin in fact it's useless if your FOV is different what you want for a consistent aim is that your mouse sensitivity and visual information on your screen is the same not your 360-spin.

For exampe: if a CSGO target on your screen is 5 inch from your crosshair you need to move your mouse 0.5 inch to hit it.
What you want for consistent aim, and not to mess up your muscle memory is that this distance is the same in overwatch.
Even if the FOV is different you still want to move your mouse 0.5 inch if a target is 5 inch away from your crosshair in overwatch.

But if your FOV is different your 360-spin won't match with CSGO, but that won't matter at all because your eye hand coordination will be the same in both games.

So if i calculate this right your sensitivity in overwatch needs to be 2.861111109 to match the same settings as in CSGO with a FOV 103 default overwatch. with a FOV of 98 it should be 2.722222222

Calculated with these settings:

For CSGO

DPI: 2300

Hor. Res: 1024

Ver. Res: 768

Screen size: 23 Inch

FOV: 90 degrees (4:3 based)

Sensitivity: 0.75

360-Spin: 9.486166008 inch

1:1 ratio: 7.758666667 inch (1 inch mouse movement = 7.75...inch crosshair movement)

For Overwatch

DPI: 2300

Hor.Res: 1024

Ver.Res: 768

Screen size: 23 Inch

FOV: 103 ( 4:3 based or Res based is the same since 1024:768 is 4:3  :P )

Sensitivity: 2.86 (or 2.861111109 to be very correct  :D)

360-Spin: 8.288882919 inch

1:1 ratio: 7.758666667 inch (1 inch mouse movement = 7.75...inch crosshair movement)

You can't feel the a discrepancy of 0.001, so it should be a perfect match.

Et vola, consistent aim! and no muscle memory or hand eye coordination f*ck up  :D

Edited by Bernd Matthys

Your calculations are strange wizard.

Explain me why in your current calculator v4. with above settings for cs go your 1 inch mouse ratio is 7,1594 inch

And suddenly in your v5 calculator it changes to 5.6456 inch?

That makes no sense since you use the exact same settings it should be the same. I did my sensitivity calculations above for overwatch on the ratio from cs go

Edited by Bernd Matthys
  • Wizard

Your calculations are strange wizard.

Explain me why in your current calculator v4. with above settings for cs go your 1 inch mouse ratio is 7,1594 inch

And suddenly in your v5 calculator it changes to 5.6456 inch?

That makes no sense since you use the exact same settings it should be the same. I did my sensitivity calculations above for overwatch on the ratio from cs go

They're not strange, they're more accurate :D

Note that in v5 you can select "Match At" which I set to 50% in the screenshot (and I left the resolution at 1080p). This is crucial for accurate calculations, as you can only match different FOV's to one spot on the monitor. v4 only calculates ratio for crosshair-to-edge, while v5 calculates crosshair-to-percentage. Here it is with 100% match:

v5-3.JPG

DPI wizard, would you mind using the new calculator to get my settings for 90 FOV in Overwatch

or if you could release the "beta v5" somewhere on the site so we could toy with it at our own risk. i really dont want to wait any longer to play this game haha

Edited by strreamix
  • Wizard

What do you mean with 50%? Because I don't understand what you mean with that.

And how did you calculate it then?

Because you lost me when you said it more accurate. How's that?

Because my calculations are correct when using 100%.

Consider these two screenshots with a monitor distance overlay.

If you want to match the movement to 50%, it will be different for all other percentages if the FOV is different. So if you are matched at 50%, moving to 100% will not be the same between the two aims. It's a little complicated to calculate, but I've got it perfect for the new version. I'll put up a video along with the release of it to explain this better :)

grid1.jpg

grid3.jpg

Consider these two screenshots with a monitor distance overlay.

If you want to match the movement to 50%, it will be different for all other percentages if the FOV is different. So if you are matched at 50%, moving to 100% will not be the same between the two aims. It's a little complicated to calculate, but I've got it perfect for the new version. I'll put up a video along with the release of it to explain this better :)

So a far shot, I my thoughts are correct (which I doubt), what you mean is that when you project a 3D world on a 2D monitor the distance you cover in the world when turning from 0% to 50% will be different (smaller?) then from 50 to 100% depending on the FOV (and sensitivity?) Because you flatten the curved line of your 360 world circle against the monitor screen causing the fish eye effect. And matching 50% is the sweet spot because that's the middle?

If I'm correct this will be even more challenging to calculate then v4.

Also what about curved screens? People will need to give the information on that also I guess. Since they bend a bit with the world.

@ streammix

Use 2,50 when using same FOV (90).that will be spot on.

Edited by Bernd Matthys
  • Wizard

So a far shot, I my thoughts are correct (which I doubt), what you mean is that when you project a 3D world on a 2D monitor the distance you cover in the world when turning from 0% to 50% will be different (smaller?) then from 50 to 100% depending on the FOV (and sensitivity?) 

Basically correct. When you turn 50% of the monitor distance, the degrees turned is not 50% of half your FOV.

Look at these three examples. The green line show you where 50% of the monitor is, while the orange marker shows you where 50% of half the FOV is. I'll have more details on this in the video :)

120fov50p.png

90fov50p.png

20fov50p.png

thank you both for your efforts

although, now i'm even more confused lol

not sure whether i should use 2.39 or 2.86 or 2.5

some values might not be correct because, as you can see, he used different resolutions.

what's the aspect ratio or native resolution of your monitor?

what's your aspect ratio in csgo?

what aspect ratio and resolution are you using in overwatch?

DPI Wizard and I, after thorough testing, found that the correct settings for me are 

1.97 sensitivity / 90 FOV / 55 Widowmaker ADS

or

2.39 sensitivity / 103 FOV / 46 Widowmaker ADS

This is what feels exactly like CS:GO for me and the numbers match when I did some old school ruler testing as well.

(still need to test Widowmaker ADS vs AWP, but I have no reason to believe it won't feel right.)

Just confirmed it,

measured 1/2 inch of mouse movement, gave me 9 cm of ingame movement in CSGO AWP (1st scope) on 1024x768 or 1920x1080 (they are the same sensitivity wise)

Opened Overwatch, 1.97 sens / 90 FOV / 55 Widowmaker ADS also moved 9cm ingame for 1/2 inch of mouse movement.

Thank you all for your input, I believe I am finally ready to play :)

Edited by strreamix

Basically correct. When you turn 50% of the monitor distance, the degrees turned is not 50% of half your FOV.

Look at these three examples. The green line show you where 50% of the monitor is, while the orange marker shows you where 50% of half the FOV is. I'll have more details on this in the video :)

attachicon.gif90fov50p.png

I recalculated your example for a FOV of 90 4:3 based CSGO and 103 for overwatch with the same settings you used and these are my results for the moment.

Results For CSGO.

50% rotation = 0.88774 inch @ 33.689 degrees.

Sensitivity = 0.75

Calculation Results

0.88774 inch = 1,971283213 in-game sens. overwatch.

Results For Overwatch

50% rotation = 0.88832 inch @ 32.15289 degrees.

Sensitivity = 1.97

So these are the same as yours but i still have a couple of questions.

Why do you give the option to match different % when 50% is the one you use for this example? and the way you say it, the most accurate?

Also i can't figure out for the moment how you calculate the 1 inch ratio.

Anyway i still don't understand it completely but my insights are getting better.  ;)

Still, eager to learn  :D

EDIT: got the 1 inch ratio also  :)

Not that complicated after all to calculate  :D

Edited by Bernd Matthys