Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders

See the game notes for instructions on how to reduce smoothing.
Read more...

Gas Station Simulator

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Mortal Shell

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Incursion Red River

The sensitivity slider is not accurate, expect some discrepancy. Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

ONCE HUMAN

Hipfire added, more aims to come. See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

What's your preferred conversion method?

What's your preferred conversion method?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. For normal/hipfire:

• 360° Distance
    • Monitor Distance - 0%
    • Monitor Distance - Horizontal 75%
    • Monitor Distance - Horizontal 100%
    • Monitor Distance - Horizontal other %
    • Monitor Distance - Vertical 100%
    • Monitor Distance - Vertical other %
    • Viewspeed - Horizontal
    • Viewspeed - Vertical
  2. 2. For ADS/Scope:

• Monitor Distance - 0%
    • Viewspeed - Horizontal
    • Viewspeed - Vertical
  3. 3. For Windows/2D games:

• Monitor Distance - 0%
    • Viewspeed - Horizontal
    • Viewspeed - Vertical

I would instead put all monitor match percentages other than 0% in their own group because they are arbitrary and do not convert the same from setup to setup. Your 100% will be different from my 100%. If you took two monitors and placed them at exactly the same central position then you would have different angles representing 100% for each monitor:

1968135766_100differentvisualangle.png.813e5f43cbcacfe3a5b53da5a4eab332.png

The same problem applies to Viewspeed because Viewspeed calculations are dependent on perceived monitor size, let alone the horizontal or vertical axis.

The only conversion method that is independent of every factor is 0% because 0% will always remain as the center of the monitor no matter what aspect ratio you use, what size monitor you have or how far away from the monitor you sit.

Edited by potato psoas
  • Wizard
26 minutes ago, potato psoas said:

I would instead put all monitor match percentages other than 0% in their own group because they are arbitrary and do not convert the same from setup to setup. Your 100% will be different from my 100%. If you took two monitors and placed them at exactly the same central position then you would have different angles representing 100% for each monitor:

True, but they all achieve the same goal unless you are converting between different aspect ratios. Also note that Monitor Distance Vertical 100% will in most cases be the same regardless of the monitor AR (some games do change vertical FOV depending on AR though).

29 minutes ago, DPI Wizard said:

True, but they all achieve the same goal unless you are converting between different aspect ratios. Also note that Monitor Distance Vertical 100% will in most cases be the same regardless of the monitor AR (some games do change vertical FOV depending on AR though).

Well they would achieve the same goal, as long as we took the visual angle into account, which I know you are working on. But what I'm trying to say is that there's nothing special about "75%" or "100%", in particular, because they are arbitrary. DICE ended up choosing 75% as their default percentage for BF4 because it was 100% in 4:3 and it "felt" good, probably due to muscle memory developed from playing games that converted like this for so long. But now we know that they didn't really know what they were doing.

17 hours ago, potato psoas said:

1968135766_100differentvisualangle.png.813e5f43cbcacfe3a5b53da5a4eab332.png

The same problem applies to Viewspeed because Viewspeed calculations are dependent on perceived monitor size, let alone the horizontal or vertical axis.

The only conversion method that is independent of every factor is 0% because 0% will always remain as the center of the monitor no matter what aspect ratio you use, what size monitor you have or how far away from the monitor you sit.

Does this also applied to 2d to 3d conversion? I heard that desktop is 0 fov, so I guess still 0% best?

1 minute ago, cchhqq said:

Does this also applied to 2d to 3d conversion? I heard that desktop is 0 fov, so I guess still 0% best?

Yeah 0% is effectively 0 FOV. It is the limit of the projection, the tangent to the curve.

And yeah, 0% converts from 3D to 2D, but only at the center of the screen - which is exactly where 0% matches sensitivity. This is because you are comparing a cursor to a crosshair. The cursor can be anywhere on the screen and therefore is perceived as a different sensitivity depending on where it is on the screen. You can test this out by moving your head back and forth. If you put your eyes close to the monitor, your cursor looks like it moves faster and if you lean back in your chair the cursor looks like it moves slower.

1 minute ago, potato psoas said:

Yeah 0% is effectively 0 FOV. It is the limit of the projection, the tangent to the curve.

And yeah, 0% converts from 3D to 2D, but only at the center of the screen - which is exactly where 0% matches sensitivity. This is because you are comparing a cursor to a crosshair. The cursor can be anywhere on the screen and therefore is perceived as a different sensitivity depending on where it is on the screen. You can test this out by moving your head back and forth. If you put your eyes close to the monitor, your cursor looks like it moves faster and if you lean back in your chair the cursor looks like it moves slower.

but my cursor will not like always at the center, does this mean that even using 0% to transfer 2d sense also is not so meaningful. Since my cursor will have different sens in 2d.

58 minutes ago, cchhqq said:

but my cursor will not like always at the center, does this mean that even using 0% to transfer 2d sense also is not so meaningful. Since my cursor will have different sens in 2d.

Its pretty useless, if you ask me to convert your 3d sensitivity to 2d.. Use something in between 400- 800 dpi. If you have more than 30cm/ 360 you will end up with a desktop cpi lower than 200.. which is nuts.

Edited by MuntyYy
26 minutes ago, cchhqq said:

It helps a little bit to have your sensitivity relatively similar, but it will not transfer over to 3D perfectly. But I don't think that's any reason to not have it converted. Heck if you curved the monitor so that all points were equally distant from your eyes then it would be perfect. It's pretty close and worth doing. And damn it makes things easy if you convert from desktop using 0%. I personally convert from Windows/Desktop to every other game I play. What makes it easy is, if you are using 0%, instead of changing the in-game sensitivity setting when you wish to change your effective sensitivity, you can just change your DPI because the in-game setting won't be affected, as you can see below:

1106468583_0.thumb.png.04b37560a552adfa617b3f31e704e314.png262507163_02.thumb.png.ec0d151de20f6a5eff364d32802ccf21.png

Edited by potato psoas

I swear by vertical viewspeed for ads though :(

Is there any reason why I should use monitor distance over vert. viewspeed?

I'm compelled to hear an argument against viewspeed and for monitor distance cause i lowkey thought that viewspeed v2, aka vert viewspeed, was supposed to be the holy grail or something along the lines.

EDIT: I understand that all of this is preference, I'm still curious otherwise as to one from the other.

Edited by massivelivefun
50 minutes ago, massivelivefun said:

That kind of response might as well be conjecture. Thanks for making me "understand" the topic more, geez.

There's this thread that's being written with the aim of functioning as a guide to learning the differences between the conversion methods so I'd suggest you check that out if you haven't already. There's a long list of reference links to old threads as well so you could probably spend the whole weekend studying how the viewspeed formula was made and other things like that if you really wanted to ^^