Arena Breakout: Infinite

Hipfire is added, aims coming soon!
Read more...

Project L33T

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk FPS

Just added.
Read more...

Contain

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Vomitoreum

Just added.
Read more...

Need slightly more clarification on monitor distance matching

I don't think anyone seems to understand exactly what the purpose of the monitor distance value is. Even though there is no such thing as the perfect monitor distance, we can attempt to calculate mathematically the monitor distance value that will maximise muscle memory at all points on the monitor by making sensitivities across all FOV ranges feel as similar as possible.

We do this by finding the halfway point on the curve of a given FOV, taking note of the x value, then finding the halfway point for a whole bunch of FOVs (from 0 to your chosen max FOV) and then calculating the average of all these halfway points to give us our "perfect" monitor distance. We do it this way because the halfway point is an equal distance to the center AND the edge of the monitor, so therefore no matter what point on the screen we are aiming to, sensitivities across different FOVs will feel as close to each other as possible, ultimately maximising muscle memory.

I should also point out that if you are interested in tracking better using a low monitor distance such as 0%, 1% or 5% will work, but it really doesn't benefit you in the long run. You really are hindering yourself from a wide range of manoeuvres in FPS gaming. You aren't always going to be looking down the barrel of a sniper scope and holding angles all the time. If you are like me you want to be able to overall flick to ANY point on the screen even if it means you are a little bit less consistent at the center of the screen. Same goes for a monitor distance of 100%.

You rotate ingame, the circumferential speed of rotation is what needs to be familiar. When you spot a target you accelerate the centre of you screen towards the target, approaching your target you decelerate. This overtime can become reflex like in speed of execution.

I don't buy for a second that distance solely has anything to do with aiming. It's always distance / time. Speed of rotation & cursor speed on desktop. It's also easily made consistent throughout different FOV's, unlike matching distance.

Edited by DNAMTE

I think we need a better clarification on how to use the calculator... After i read this idk what im doing anymore... lets say i have a BASE sensitivity that i want to export to every game i have and even to windows. What i mean with this? Well that i want to move exactly the same way in other games and have the same "feeeling" of movement on every single one, and yes windows and 2D games too.

But after this idk what to use... for example lets say my base game Counter Strike go i use this:

Sensitivity: 2.9

Mouse DPI: 400

WPS 6 (Disabled accel in windows)

Monitor 27"

FOV 90

So now i want to have the same aim on overwatch for ex...? What match i have to use 0% 25% 65% 100% ????

Some of u said 0% is the best , others say 25% is the best!! i do all my calculations at 100%

So i did this wrong? I just dont understand!!! Can someone give me a hand please!!

• Wizard

So now i want to have the same aim on overwatch for ex...? What match i have to use 0% 25% 65% 100% ????

Some of u said 0% is the best , others say 25% is the best!! i do all my calculations at 100%

So i did this wrong? I just dont understand!!! Can someone give me a hand please!!

There is no right or wrong answer to this, as it comes down to personal preference.

If you do 100%, this means that moving 50% of the monitor distance will be slightly different between different FOV's. If you instead do 50%, moving 100% will be slightly different, and so on.

Some might find it better to match 100% with hipfire, and go down as the zoom levels get higher. Say 50% on a 4x scope and 0% on snipers scopes. Higher zoom levels also means more tracking and pixelhunting in many cases, so 0% might make more sense on snipers etc.

Okay I'm going to try converting all my FOVs using the method that DNAMTE and GLiSN/Drimzi are recommending... I'm just not sure with something. The calculation you recommend which is: ([2D edge to edge distance] - [percent increase from [arc length] to [chord length]]) x (360/HFOV) This seems to convert FROM 2D to 3D. What if I want to convert from 3D to 2D what is the formula?

Edited by Joshua Willis

Try the method in my post. I am going to assume you have 1920x1080 resolution.

2D = 400 DPI, 1920x1080, 12.192 cm edge-to-edge

360 degrees (106.26 actual HFOV)  = 34.733 cm

360 degrees (103 actual HFOV) = 36.2838 cm

CS:GO sensitivity = 2.991653

CS:GO zoom sensitivity ratio = 0.955056

Overwatch sensitivity = 9.55

Let us know how it feels.

Nice thank u GLiSN...actually my desktop res is 2560 x 1440...according to the calculator my mouse needs 650 dpi in windows to match my base 2.9 CSGO...(converting from game to windows)

My idea always was like to "sync" all my others sensitivities (desktop included) to match CSGO, it is like i want everything to match that game and keep it consistent.. For example i "move" my settings from CSGO (2.9 sen 400 dpi 27 inches monitor and default 90 fov) to Overwatch default fov too... i got 9.37 sensitivity IF i choose match at 100% but if use 25% the calculator gives me 9.15 and thats exactly what i dont understand... What is the best match to use from and why?

Hey I tried the gear method and I don't know what to say but I think it works. I tried it for a couple days and I've already beat all my records on all the games I play. It really feels exactly the same. I still don't fully understand how it works though. You'd think with the way gears and gear ratios work you'd just match at 100% monitor distance. E.g.

Big to Small: Revolutions_gearA = Revolutions_gearB x (Circumferenceof_gearA / Circumferenceof_gearB)

Small to Big: Revolutions_gearB = Revolutions_gearA / (Circumferenceof_gearB / Circumferenceof_gearA)

Unless I'm mistaken, you aren't really converting between different gears since 0 FOV is not a gear (and if it were, it would look more like an infinitely flat line). As such, I still don't understand what's going on with the formula... can someone explain it to me? And how would the formula work if we wanted to convert between different FOVs and not 2D to 3D?

Without re-writing my earlier posts, quite simply you are matching the length of circumferential movement to transverse movement. Doing that makes your cursor speed/view speed exactly the same. Regardless of FOV.

People should not care about matching parts of their monitor. It's about how your cursor reacts. Knowing exactly how fast your cursor will react allows you to better judge your shots.

As for zero, it's zero. You can't use it to multiply anything hence why the conventional monitor match uses only 'close to zero'.

If you used zero then there is no difference in arc length to chord length, meaining your in 2D not 3D. No need for a 2D to 3D conversion.

Hope that helps

EDIT: if you want to match different 3d games you can just use 2d as a basepoint. You could use another formula as it's simply the difference between arc length but there is no need.

Edited by DNAMTE

I've read the post and i'm gonna try to put this info into a practical example here, while i'm quite sure it isn't correct.

Goal: Syncronize Overwatch hipfire crosshair speed with Widowmakers scope.

Data:

Game: Overwatch
DPI: 640

Sensitivity: 7

FOV Hipfire: 103°
FOV Scope Widow: 51°

Screenresolution: 2560*1440

Step 1: Calculate circular arc length (image length)

We know the chord which is the horizontal display resolution = 2560p
We know the hipfire angle = 103° or 1.79769 RADS
And we know the scope angle = 51° or 0.89012 RADS

That is everything we need to know to calculate the circular arc length since the radius of the circle can be easily calculated.
I'm not gonna make this post endless so here's the result:

Hipfire circle radius = 1635.5566p

Scope circle radius = 2973.2102p

So the arc length (3D image) is:

Hipfire circle arc length = Radius * Angle (RADS) = 1635.5566 * 1.79769 = 2940.2224p

Scope circle arc length = Radius * Angle (RADS) = 2973.2102 * 0.89012 = 2646.5077p

Step 2 % Calculate decrease

The % decrease between hipfire arc length and scope arc length is: ((2646.5077 - 2940.2224) / 2940.2224)*100 = 9.9895%

Meaning the scoped image projected on the screen is 9.9895% shorter than the hipfire image.

Step 3 Synchronizing both crosshair speeds

Hipfire: 103 FOV

sensitivity 7 @ 640DPI = 30.9253 cm 360° Turn
(360/103) = 8.84807 cm to move my crosshair from edge to edge

Scope: 51 FOV

This means for scoped = (360/51)*(8.84807- (8.84807*0.09895)) = 56.2768 cm 360° Turn.

I'm quite sure this isn't correct at all because that's bloody fast! But it's the first try.

So if there are any people that want to correct this, by all means do :-)

Grtz

• Wizard

If you use the desktop resolution as the base, you must calculate both hipfire and scope based on that. So if your arc lengths etc are correct, this is how you should calculate the 360's:

For hipfire:

2940.2224/103*360 = 10276.5055 counts = 40.7849 cm for 360.

And for scope:

2646.5077/51*360 = 18681.2308 counts = 74.1411 cm for 360.

If you want to convert from hipfire to scope using this method, it's a little bit more complicated, more on that later :)

If you use the desktop resolution as the base, you must calculate both hipfire and scope based on that. So if your arc lengths etc are correct, this is how you should calculate the 360's:

For hipfire:

And for scope:

If you want to convert from hipfire to scope using this method, it's a little bit more complicated, more on that later :)

Did it all this morning and figured it out using Joshua's methods on page 2! Didn't want to wait because got obsessed with figuring this out :P. God it feels amazing! I just wish now that Rainbow Six Siege let you finetune the sensitivity for each scope :'(. Thanks for all the help on this Joshua and Mr Wizard :D

For hipfire:

And for scope:

Hi DPI Wizard

I'm confused how you converted the counts into cm/360??? What calculation was used to come up with those lengths?

Did it all this morning and figured it out using Joshua's methods on page 2! Didn't want to wait because got obsessed with figuring this out :P. God it feels amazing! I just wish now that Rainbow Six Siege let you finetune the sensitivity for each scope :'(. Thanks for all the help on this Joshua and Mr Wizard :D

What method are you talking about exactly?

For hipfire:

And for scope:

I see.

Thx for the info wizard!

But i still think that 741411cm is too fast for the widow scope. despite the calculation is correct :)