Gray Zone Warfare

Use the config file for best accuracy.
Read more...

World of Shooting

See the game notes for instructions on how to disable smoothing.
Read more...

Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders

See the game notes for instructions on how to reduce smoothing.
Read more...

Gas Station Simulator

Read more...

Mortal Shell

Read more...

Is there a "best" FOV for Matching Via Viewspeed from 2D?

I've noticed that players are having issues with viewspeed at the extremes of the FOV range (high and low)so that got me thinking, is there an ideal FOV that matches the best from 2D (windows/desktop)? There might be something I'm completely missing here, but who knows, figured I'd ask.

I was not aware of the issues? please elaborate. FOV at extremes has problems regardless.

At the small end you have people getting motion sickness due to high rotation vs mouse speed.

At the large end your forcing a larger radius in to a much smaller view space then should be used, causing 'fish eye' and other distortion problems.

IMO 90' at 4:3 or 106.26' at 16:9 is the best mix.

I was not aware of the issues? please elaborate. FOV at extremes has problems regardless.

At the small end you have people getting motion sickness due to high rotation vs mouse speed.

At the large end your forcing a larger radius in to a much smaller view space then should be used, causing 'fish eye' and other distortion problems.

Lots of complaints in the PUBG thread because the FOV is so low on that game ~47 VFOV. General consensus is that sensitivity feels "too slow". Opposite on the high end, sensitivity feels too fast. What you're saying makes sense though.

Lots of complaints in the PUBG thread because the FOV is so low on that game ~47 VFOV. General consensus is that sensitivity feels "too slow". Opposite on the high end, sensitivity feels too fast. What you're saying makes sense though.

I think the problem is fairly obvious then. Even if your crosshair is moving at the same 'speed' the 360 rotation is going to be vastly different comparing 47FOV to 90FOV. Ultimately throwing out any muscle memory that is related to angular reaction (180' turn, 90' turn).

Maintaining a 'similar' FOV between games is always necessary to transfer as much 'feel' between games.

Zoom or 'aim down sight' is a best fit scenario, something you cannot match exactly so unifying crosshair speed is the best match.

If Crosshair speed remains constant, then:

Larger FOV - Less movement required to complete a rotation

Smaller FOV - More movement required to complete a rotation

Yeah, there isn't a clear answere whether high or low fov is better.

On the one Hand you can get motion sickness on too low fov and don't see targets you would have seen with higher fov.

On the other hand you might lose focus on whats happening in the middle of your screen because you see too much surrounding with high fov. (Some csgo players swear they have more focus on targets with low fov (4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen))

And distortion aka fish eye is ​a problem for a lot of players.

For me it's the golden middle ground: 73.74 vfov (106.26 hfov on 16:9). And ist a good value for compatibility between games.

Just doing the statement "higher fov is better" is a bit risky...

Yeah, there isn't a clear answere whether high or low fov is better.

On the one Hand you can get motion sickness on too low fov and don't see targets you would have seen with higher fov.

On the other hand you might lose focus on whats happening in the middle of your screen because you see too much surrounding with high fov. (Some csgo players swear they have more focus on targets with low fov (4:3 aspect ratio instead of widescreen))

And distortion aka fish eye is ​a problem for a lot of players.

For me it's the golden middle ground: 73.74 vfov (106.26 hfov on 16:9). And ist a good value for compatibility between games.

Just doing the statement "higher fov is better" is a bit risky...

Yea i think it depends a lot on the game. H1 requires a lot of headshots, so I think a little bit lower than 106.26 hfov is ideal.  Arena shooters like quake with large hitboxes can have much higher fovs (upwards of 120-130 hfov). I think for most games, hovering within 10 hfov of 106.26 is the "ideal" range.

Edited by KandiVan
On 29/04/2017 at 2:05 AM, WhoCares? said:

the golden middle ground: 73.74 vfov (106.26 hfov on 16:9).

On 25/04/2017 at 11:11 PM, DNAMTE said:

I'm sure that's no coincidence. You didn't both just so happen to choose 106.26 by personal taste I'm sure. I sense magic :) What's so special about this number?

Ultimately I think whatever you choose, your brain / eyes will adapt. I do however have opinions regarding spacial focus on the screen. But I covered that already.

Allow me to bless you with my paint skills and show you how your distance from your monitor could help determine your initial feelings towards a FOV.

Obviously my images need no explanation... they are very well designed :P The circle represents your head, the rectangle, your monitor. The angle then would be the natural view you would see if you were to assume the rectangle was... a window.

Obviously your rotation point in game puts your head on top of the rectangle (180FOV would then be optimum, coinciding with natural peripheral vision)... which unless your going to wear  top line VR goggles, can not be synced with your position in your chair. Nonetheless, something to consider.

Untitle44545454d.png

what about third person shooters? Default FOV in warframe is 65. Is it the same 65 as in fps games or its calculated differently? Also it can 78 max so no option 106.26 for 16:9 available ... 

I know that Im messing it up, can somebody explain me that? I would like to match fov between games like warframe, csgo, unreal, quake ... Thats probably not possible? 

can you tell me how to do it? I mean how to translate 65 fov from warframe (that's the fov I like and use) to cs go? I want to play only aim training maps in cs go as they are great for practicing. I'm not that much interested in the rest of the game. 

33 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

Do I have it right? I'm using command below but I'm not sure about FOV type. I don't know which one cs use as default. Horizontal Deg. / Res. Base would make more sens. 

sv_cheats "1";

fov_cs_debug 80.69;

fov.JPG

CS uses Horizontal Deg | 4:3 Base. You've got it correct. You need to be on a cheat enabled server like Aim_Botz, all you do is type fov_cs_debug 80.69 in the console and the FOV will be match to 65 vFOV on warframe.

Thanks.  One more thing. Why If I enter 90 or fov_cs_deb 0 (so default in this case ) it is not "real" 90? When I turn from one edge on a left side of the monitor so this edge is on a right side of monitor and I do it 4 times, I'm not getting 360 ... 

• Wizard
1 minute ago, Excalibur said:

Thanks.  One more thing. Why If I enter 90 or fov_cs_deb 0 (so default in this case ) it is not "real" 90? When I turn from one edge on a left side of the monitor so this edge is on a right side of monitor and I do it 4 times, I'm not getting 360 ... 

It's 90 for 4:3 resolution. If you have a 16:9 monitor, the extra FOV is added on, resulting in a FOV of 106.26.

If you want a FOV of 90 in 16:9, you need to configure CSGO to FOV 73.74.

I know this number and resolutions thing, I have found it on my own, was just wondering what is going on ... Weird, a bit confusing. Anyway good to know what is happening. Thanks all for help.

BTW would be great to have warframe updated. 

well I did some testing. To make full 360 I need in cs go sensitivity more like 1.7585, not 1.743641 as calculator suggests. My settings are as on picture posted above. @DPI Wizard

could you take a look on this? For testing I'm using http://www.coksoft.com/mouse-emulator.htm It works perfect and give me results that are equal to your calculator. The problem is present only if I change fov in cs and accordingly sensitivity as your calculator suggests. 

Just to explain. If id dont change fov in cs than I need to "travel" wit cursor using linked soft 10467 px at cs sensitivity 1.563206 to make 360. I can measure it with this soft. Your calculator also shows 1.563206 for 360

When I change fov to 80.69 in cs than to make 360 with 10467 px cursor "travel" I need set cs sensitivity to 1.7585. With this fov 80.69 your calculator says that I need to use sensitivity 1.743568. 

My method is very accurate and constant. I was using it before I have found your calculator. It gives me the same results as your calculator also with unreal tournament and warframe. The only problem (difference) is with cs go fov changed to  80.69.